The Sewing Place

Duchess...

Efemera

Duchess...
« on: September 27, 2020, 16:10:49 PM »
The Duchess  coat by Elle and Mac...
I’ve never seen so many badly sewn coats in my life and so many folks drooling over them.
Badly sewn, not pressed and the fitting is non existent.
Sometimes I despair, does no one learn the basics anymore.

StitchinTime

Re: Duchess...
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 16:30:53 PM »
Why do so many of them have the buttons going the opposite way to line drawing?

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 17:06:55 PM »
Where are all of these pictures of badly sewn coats?  I could only find two from
https://www.ellieandmac.com/products/duchess-jacket-pattern
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 17:17:07 PM »
Facebook...

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2020, 17:36:12 PM »
Ah, seems to be a private group, I can only find a couple of pics but I agree not good, and either the camera reversed the images or they are sewn the wrong way around.  Female garments have the buttonholes on the right.

The actual pattern might be OK, but that hi-lo hem in a coat doesn't work for me, and certainly not over a dress.  Maybe OK over trousers.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

StitchinTime

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2020, 17:39:56 PM »
@BrendaP I’m on a tablet and can swipe the main photo in the link you posted to see the different coats. There may be an arrow to click on the sides of the photo to see these on a PC/Mac.

sewingj

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2020, 18:23:45 PM »
There are one or two on super skinny young girls which don`t look too bad.  I think the colour of the lining makes a big difference as it is so visible. The ones with white linings look really wrong

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2020, 18:34:57 PM »
@BrendaP I’m on a tablet and can swipe the main photo in the link you posted to see the different coats. There may be an arrow to click on the sides of the photo to see these on a PC/Mac.

From the main link the other reviews come underneath.  On FB there are > and < arrows if there are other photos in the same posting.

UttaRetch

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2020, 18:51:52 PM »
@Efemera, I was wondering why the front hem seeems to rise up and then I saw that the pattern was originally designed for

children.  I don't think it has been scaled up very well and where are the line drawings? 

Efemera

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2020, 19:01:40 PM »
The front doesn’t hang right on lots of the coats, probably the fabric choice.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2020, 22:09:41 PM »
The Duchess  coat by Elle and Mac...
I’ve never seen so many badly sewn coats in my life and so many folks drooling over them.
Badly sewn, not pressed and the fitting is non existent.
Sometimes I despair, does no one learn the basics anymore.

Short answer is no!   I’m sure we can all produce something a bit naff sometimes.  But if I’d made something as bad as any of these I certainly wouldn’t want it plastered all over the internet.
People like to rush, they don’t take their time to get things right. 
This business of leaving all these wonderful reviews about these indie pattern designers drives me nuts.  They seem to have a very loyal following that fawn over the stuff.  Some of it so simple  you could have bought an almost identical pattern from the big 4 for half the price and with some decent pattern markings which seem to be frequently missing from many I’ve looked at.

Gernella

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2020, 10:32:27 AM »
I suspect in that I would have DH around with the scissors, not really for me  though, a bit long in the tooth.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

elisep

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2020, 13:37:03 PM »
It seems poorly drafted for such a classic style. Low hem starts from the side seam (not on the child’s version though?) and it hangs terribly in the back for all but a couple of the examples.
I also seriously dislike the way the front is drafted, it looks terrible unless it’s buttoned up.

Lot of poor fabric choices (and poor fit) amongst that too, which you can’t blame the designer for - but I wouldn’t be putting them on my website for the whole world to see!
Stash Busting 2023
Used: 4 metres

Syrinx

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2020, 18:19:43 PM »
I wasn't hugely impressed with some of the fabric choices. Looks like a nice thick fabric would do it good. But I quite like the kids version in that cream! Perhaps because it doesn't have that weird pleaty thing at the back.

Catllar

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2020, 17:13:31 PM »
I suppose you could say it is a very original patterns - but they seem to have thrown everything at it bar the sink. It's not nice really, is it?

There's a coat on Love Notions Patterns that gains universal fawning rights  the Octave coat: https://www.lovenotions.com/product/octave-coat-xs-5x  I really can't find much to like about it - not a decent hem,  no-one seems to know what under stitching is and it's all sort of baggy, then they add a biker jacket collar flappy thing . When it first released I thought it  looked like a cosy dressing gown, or a cuddly lock-down snuggle outfit,  but no, a coat it is and boy does it look amateur ! ( Others may disagree, of course)
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !