The Sewing Place

Craftsy BOM 2015

Missie

Craftsy BOM 2015
« on: May 19, 2017, 08:07:08 AM »
I don't really do any quilting.  I've only made 1 in my whole life but I always sing up to the quilting courses in the hope that I will one day do one.  I love the Jinny Beyer one, just cos it was a bit different and I wanted to make it for my in-laws as a thank you gift (they have been utterly fantastic since DH & I split) but the kit was too expensive.  I looked for other fabrics that I could buy and build up the stash slowly but nope, nothing doing.  Then I just happened to be on the site on Black Friday last year and the kit was half price so I purchased it.

I have finally got around to starting it (with a little bit of help  :*)  I have handsewn it but I'm not sure I will continue as I'm worried it won't hold up;  however, it is nice to have a little project that I can do in front of the telly, so maybe I will!

But here is my first block.  It's not perfect, but I'm happy with it  :)

BrendaP

Re: Craftsy BOM 2015
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 09:29:24 AM »
Those Jinny Beyer are really nice aren't they.  It's very difficult to find anything else suitale for some of her projects. :fabric:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 09:43:50 AM »
Lovely, Missy. I couldn't do anything in front of the tv ( insufficient light or concentration ) but if you can, well done you  :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Missie

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 09:45:23 AM »
Those Jinny Beyer are really nice aren't they.  It's very difficult to find anything else suitale for some of her projects. :fabric:

I just loved that it was a black background rather than white and the colours in it are gorgeous. 

I am struggling with it being dark, but I have a really bright spotlight lamp so that helps quite a bit!

Sandra

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 09:45:46 AM »
It's looking good, Missie.  :)

I love those shades of turquoise/peacock blue.
I googled Jinny Beyer and searched 'images'...Oooh, they're nice aren't they? Lots of lovely blues, greens and purples. I've just pinned some on my Pinterest page. Some great designs. Skyscape and Stony Creek are especially lovely.

Sandra.
xxx

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 09:50:53 AM »
That's lovely and well put together.
Don't worry about your hand sewing not holding up.  If you think about it, on the finished quilt there is no strain on the seams and the lines of stitching cross over each other as you join the shapes, blocks and rows together.  The final quilting also holds things together.  I think it would be difficult for even the most poorly sewn quilt to come apart and your sewing is most definitely not in that category.  Don't give up on it. It will be a lovely gift.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 09:52:41 AM by Ploshkin »
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 09:54:57 AM »
Hmmm... not sure about that Ploshy, I've noticed that my Kaffe Fassett quilt has come apart in a couple of places, despite being machine pieced and quilted and not having been used much  :'(
Triumph of hope over experience :D

rubywishes

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 10:07:52 AM »
Missie that is a lovely block, very striking. Do continue with it, I reckon it will be a stunner!
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Acorn

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 10:11:45 AM »
That's really lovely Missie - and beautifully done.  Usually the two things that put a quilt at risk of coming apart are cheap thread that breaks, and fraying material without big enough seam allowances.
Hmmm... not sure about that Ploshy, I've noticed that my Kaffe Fassett quilt has come apart in a couple of places, despite being machine pieced and quilted and not having been used much  :'(
That must be really upsetting!   :'(
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Missie

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 11:05:21 AM »
Don't worry about your hand sewing not holding up.  If you think about it, on the finished quilt there is no strain on the seams and the lines of stitching cross over each other as you join the shapes, blocks and rows together.  The final quilting also holds things together.  I think it would be difficult for even the most poorly sewn quilt to come apart and your sewing is most definitely not in that category.  Don't give up on it. It will be a lovely gift.

So glad you said that because that is what I was thinking.   :)

maliw

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 15:28:41 PM »
That is lovely, I watched the Jinny Beyer BOM and thought what lovely colours they were. I'm sure the kit sold out at the beginning so they must have restocked and then not sold all the kits. Well done you for spotting a bargain and I'm sure your hand sewing will hold out, don't doubt yourself and your abilities, you're doing a great job.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Deafoldbat

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 19:12:18 PM »
I have handsewn it but I'm not sure I will continue as I'm worried it won't hold up

Very small stitches, and/or backstitch Why wouldn't it last a reasonable time? Quilts were made before there were machines, and are made to be used, not stuffed in a cupboard 'for best'.

Lilian

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2017, 20:17:42 PM »
It's lovely Missie, and I think if you used backstitch it actually stands more chance of lasting.  Great work it will be stunning when it's finished.  Well done! :)
Willing but not always able :)

maliw

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2017, 10:32:50 AM »
I'm sure that Jinny Beyer hand sews a lot of her stuff as I think she mentioned sewing on a plane.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Lantana

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2017, 22:10:30 PM »
It's lovely and looks to be sewn well. It is a good feeling hand sewing and making the most of odd moments  ... keeps you in touch with the spirit of the original quilters (feel the sisterhood over the ages  :) ) It shouldn't all be about 'rush rush rush get it done yesterday'. Well done also on getting a bargain! Enjoy and keep us posted!

L :vintage: