The Sewing Place

Craftsy BOM 2015

maliw

Re: Craftsy BOM 2015
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2017, 09:37:03 AM »
It's lovely and looks to be sewn well. It is a good feeling hand sewing and making the most of odd moments  ... keeps you in touch with the spirit of the original quilters (feel the sisterhood over the ages  :) ) It shouldn't all be about 'rush rush rush get it done yesterday'. Well done also on getting a bargain! Enjoy and keep us posted!

L :vintage:
DD bought me this for mother's day
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Slow-Stitch-Contemplative-Wellesley-smith-published/dp/B01N9L15HQ/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

BrendaP

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2017, 10:33:20 AM »
I'm sure that Jinny Beyer hand sews a lot of her stuff as I think she mentioned sewing on a plane.

I watched a couple of her videos and she did say she does a lot of hand sewing. 
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lantana

maliw

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2017, 16:36:36 PM »
It's ok Lantana but I don't think I would buy at full price. Basically it tells you to pick up any old piece of fabric and just hand stitch on it. It talks a bit about stitching in other countries and by different faiths and what the clothes are used for. There is some content about hand dyeing fabrics from plant sources. It is all about recycling and stitching odd bits of fabric together too. If that is your sort of thing then you will enjoy it, but if I'd seen the book and had a look through it I don't think I would have bought it. I'm grateful to DD don't get me wrong and I've read it from cover to cover. It did inspire me to take a piece of calico and some threads on holiday so I could just stitch but as I also had some patchwork I didn't do any but I must say that I've had a look for some old, used napkins that I might try and transform (they came from mum's and I didn't throw them away). Undecided -<
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Lantana

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2017, 18:50:18 PM »
Ah thanks for that then Maliw, so often a book promises much on the cover but are actually very light weight inside. I suppose it does enable you to feel that you don't necessarily have to produce a masterpiece but it's ok to just doodle along? So often the getting started is the difficult thing as we have such high hopes that it can be intimidating. But I guess we don't need to buy a book for that piece of advice  :)

L :vintage: