The Sewing Place

Threads

Emma2109

Threads
« on: May 19, 2017, 10:33:12 AM »
Good morning lovely sewers....

What threads do you all use?....I have tried Moon thread and some other assortments I purchased through Amazon and didn't get on with them (or rather my sewing machine didn't!)

I now only use Gutermann and have had no problems. I have built quite a collection up, however, they are not cheap and I am starting to make more things (mainly clothes, haven't ventured over to quilting yet

Samantha

Re: Threads
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 10:41:12 AM »
My machine will only use Gutermann or Coats (although in the bobbin I can use cheap thread) which are both the same price in my local shop so not much help I'm afraid!

Francesca

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 11:06:58 AM »
You can try buying Gutermann in sets / bulk as it's cheaper that way. I was given a "book" of Gutermann thread for Christmas.

Hobbycraft I believe has a sale on so now might be the time to stock up.

It's the best thread, in my humble opinion!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 14:41:39 PM »
Gutermann is lovely thread.  Coates is ok but tends to twist a bit.  Mettler is another nice thread.  Price wise they are all much of a muchness. Don't penny pinch on threads.  Your machine is far more expensive.  It will cost you money if you have to have it sorted due to all the fluff that gets inside a machine from cheap thread.  Not worth it!

Efemera

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 14:51:10 PM »
Any old stuff....about 20 years ago a local factory was closing and a friend and I went to the auction..we got around 1500 cones of thread in every colour you could think of,  we sold some, gave some away and I'm still using it. I use it for everything including quilting.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 18:02:55 PM by Iminei »

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 17:45:35 PM »
Gütermann, Coats cotton (not Coats Moon!), Presencia, Superior Threads and YLI are good brands.

For most ordinary sewing you need polyester size 100/3, or for 100% cotton use size 50/3.
You only need thicker thread (lower first number) for really thick fabric such as denim or machine quilting or very fine thread (higher first number) for very sheer fabric such as voile.

Rayon threads are for embroidery, and not strong enough for seams.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Kad

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 10:39:04 AM »
Other than the Gutterman all-purpose thread, I use a lot of the thread from Empress Mills in Colne. I like that apart from the reasonable prices they sell thread ( cotton, cotton/poly etc ) in various thicknesses and on reels from 1000m to 7500m or more. They also have ' fluffy nylon' for overlooker use and linen threads for special projects.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

DementedFairy

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 11:08:59 AM »
Your machine is far more expensive.  It will cost you money if you have to have it sorted due to all the fluff that gets inside a machine from cheap thread.  Not worth it!

That'll be it then- I've only ever had cheapo machines, and I always buy any old thread from the market.  I listened to you lot when making our wedding dresses, and bought Gutermann's...and saw little difference, other than for topstitching, to be honest.

I try to remember to de fluff my machines often, and I'm fairly good at it! 
C'est moi!

b15erk

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 11:12:08 AM »
None of my machines are fussy about thread.  I generally pick a few reels up when I buy my fabric, and I don't look at the brand, I just buy in multiples of two.

I don't match threads on the O/L, just the left hand thread, but the coverstitch looks better with matching threads in the needle - same goes for twin needle sewing.

Contrast thread in the O/L is a boon when sewing black - especially if it's necessary to unpick!  (I call it my design feature)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

charlotte

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 16:06:17 PM »
I find it best to buy in bulk. The larger reels are better value for money. There is a Gutermann all purpose one that I think might be designed for industrial use(?) called something like Mara 100. It comes on a funny yellow reel, 1000 metres. I have one in black and one in white which feel like will last me forever! It is fine on my little sewing machine, but I do need to hold it steady with a finger whilst I'm winding my bobbins.

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 16:54:07 PM »
Gütermann Mara comes in lots of different thicknesses.  The one which is the same thickness as SewAll on the small reels is Mara 100.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

SkoutSews

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 17:24:17 PM »
Other than the Gutterman all-purpose thread, I use a lot of the thread from Empress Mills in Colne. I like that apart from the reasonable prices they sell thread ( cotton, cotton/poly etc ) in various thicknesses and on reels from 1000m to 7500m or more. They also have ' fluffy nylon' for overlooker use and linen threads for special projects.

Thanks for this recommendation, Kad. I'll give them a go as the prices are reasonable, as  you say.  I'm nowhere near any markets and good thread is annoyingly expensive, especially when you need two reels or a big reel to complete a garment.  You can end up paying almost the same price as the fabric!
They also have tacking cotton and I'm nearly at the end of my supply. 

DementedFairy

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2017, 18:39:09 PM »

They also have tacking cotton and I'm nearly at the end of my supply.

I just use up all my bobbin ends for tacking
C'est moi!

SkoutSews

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 20:27:53 PM »
Yup, I do that too. Also all the old ends of reels in extraordinary colours dating back decades!

twopence

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2017, 22:23:39 PM »
I have inherited some old Sylko from my Great Aunt and Grandmother that will probably keep me in tacking thread for more than my lifetime.  My DD's can inherit it from me!

I have also found some very fine thread which I think was for stitching gloves.  Can't remember the name as they're in the summerhouse.