The Sewing Place

Wrap dresses/tops?

Efemera

Wrap dresses/tops?
« on: October 01, 2020, 10:35:35 AM »
Why do I look like a sack of spuds in wrap over dresses or tops, I see some lovely things but on me they look like old lady stuff. I never know what to do with the wrap bit, does it go under? over? Or across the bust?... maybe I need more bust!  :o

Acorn

Re: Wrap dresses/tops?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 10:36:55 AM »
I'm exactly the same.  I see them looking lovely on other people, but they make me look as though I'm wearing an overall.   :[
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Missie

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 10:51:31 AM »
Me too and bizarrely, it makes my girls look totally lop-sided, which they aren't.  I guess it is just the way the lines of the dress cross my boobs but it looks so weird I don't wear them

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 11:35:35 AM »
I'm in the @Missie camp. Haven't worn one since I was fifteen and someone kindly pointed out that one boob looked bigger than the other!  :o It's not, it's just wearing bigger clothes.  :laughing:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 12:14:16 PM »
Wrap over styles never stay wrapped over on me, even with added press stud or safety pin!
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Nevis5

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2020, 12:18:55 PM »
Oh, me too!  I like the look of them on other people but as I am v busty I never know where the wrap bit is supposed to go and I think I end up looking like Les Dawson's Cissie character.    Interestingly my DD who is similarly built to me looks great in the Cashmerette Appleton dress. 

Silver Rose

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2020, 12:26:54 PM »
I never feel comfortable in a wrap top, they  don't sit right over my modest bust. I've only made one wrap dress, it was not good and a waste of good quality linen fabric.
Still learning

dolcevita

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2020, 12:35:35 PM »
I prefer mock wrap dresses to fully functioning wrap dresses. I'm a short-ish pear shape and the belted ones often chop me at just the wrong place and the cross-over on the bodice doesn't quite work. I've just finished this mock wrap dress (Ottobre) in some lovely soft ponte (Driessenstoffen, last year). I made the belt as I thought I may as well and gives a slightly different look but in truth I think it's better on me without - more lengthening.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Gernella

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2020, 12:51:49 PM »
I haven't got enough boob so have to make adjustments, although the two I made were from an old Butterick faux wrap dress.  I think it was a Maggie London. I've got her latest one but keep putting it off. The one I made for a wedding now needs a safety pin since I've lost weight and a chunk off the sides but that might be messy.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Surest1tch

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2020, 19:44:28 PM »
I'm tall and fairly slim so in theory they should look good on me, but they look horrendous and make me feel really old and scruffy. I certainly don't feel confident in that style and I'm so glad I tried one on in a store when they first re-emerged rather than made one.
@dolcevita I absolutely love the look of yours

Ploshkin

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2020, 07:44:03 AM »
I can't wear wrap things either - gaping is my issue.  I probably have insufficient stuffing.
Life's too short for ironing.

UttaRetch

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2020, 08:58:46 AM »
 l love Emily Hallam's style and she does fabulous wrap dresses. 

Missie

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2020, 10:19:34 AM »
l love Emily Hallam's style and she does fabulous wrap dresses.

She started a sew along for a wrap dress a couple of years ago, for which I got the pattern.  I didn't end do the sewalong in the end and I keep looking at it think I might do it but then keep stalling.  Maybe being in a woven fabric (my plan was to do it in a light weight denim) might be a better look than a jersey option.

Gernella

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2020, 18:31:10 PM »
They look lovely and very appealing, unfortunately I'm small and dumpy and I bet she is not.  From a picture I seem to remember seeing of @UttaRetch she looks to have the perfect shape for this type of garment.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

UttaRetch

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2020, 19:07:13 PM »
 :| That's sweet of you to say, but I have an inconveniently large bust and an arse as big as all outdoors.  :laughing:  I would love a wrap dress, but don't think I will ever find one that is right for me.