The Sewing Place

Ginger jeans

dolcevita

Ginger jeans
« on: October 03, 2020, 21:08:59 PM »
I posted recently about using my old vintage Singer 99k for topstitching and what a nice stitch it gives compared with my modern Pfaff. I used the Singer as I've been making some jeans - my old RTW ones are a disgrace and getting towards the stage of home-only jeans. I didn't want to buy more RTW ones as they never fit well (on pear-shaped me) and I have plenty of denim in my stash.

I've been a bit hesitant about skinny jeans but decided to give the Ginger jeans pattern a go; a couple of friends made them a little while ago and said it was a good pattern, which is good enough for me. It's not the cheapest of patterns, about £16.

Anyhow, apart from the front buttonhole, they're made now and it is a nice pattern. I made the high waist version and did my usual trouser FBA (full bum adjustment) and a couple of other tweaks and they fit very nicely - I'm pleased enough with the result that I shall make another pair.

These are photos of the hip area; the legs look just like legs, really. Sorry about the fuzzy vision photo, but you can see the result of all the topstitching on the old Singer.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Acorn

Re: Ginger jeans
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2020, 21:29:32 PM »
Very nice - you were brave doing all that topstitching in white, but rightly so!   :thumbsup:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2020, 00:45:05 AM »
They look really good - and the rows of topstitching are really parallel; not easy to do in two passes.
 :loveit:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Silver Rose

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2020, 08:10:35 AM »
They are great, well done with the top stitching.
Still learning

Gernella

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2020, 10:21:53 AM »
Fabulous stitching, not something I would attempt for it to stand out.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Ellabella

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2020, 10:52:37 AM »
They are lovely. That top stitching looks very classy.

Catllar

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2020, 15:23:50 PM »
They look amazing and I love the pocket topstitching. 

Is the pattern designed for girls with hips and bums? I have neither and get really fed up with trouser and jeans patterns where I have to remove shed loads on the hips as it always means I have to faff about.

I can't wear M&S trousers - they look like jodhpurs on me - I am a true bumb-less wonder!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Surest1tch

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2020, 19:40:45 PM »
Lovely job  :thumbsup:

jen

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2020, 19:44:18 PM »
Looking good , great top stitching!

Missie

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2020, 08:34:21 AM »
Fantastic job and beautiful stitching too.

dolcevita

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2020, 09:46:23 AM »
Thanks, all! :thumbsup:

They look amazing and I love the pocket topstitching. 

Is the pattern designed for girls with hips and bums? I have neither and get really fed up with trouser and jeans patterns where I have to remove shed loads on the hips as it always means I have to faff about.

I can't wear M&S trousers - they look like jodhpurs on me - I am a true bumb-less wonder!

The gingers are what I would describe as a neutral fit, catllar. As well as size grading, I make a number of adjustments specific to my figure that I know I need. These include an FBA (full bum adjustment), taking in the sides for the back pieces only and a narrow wedge out of the centre back. A curved waistband is also essential for me to get a good fit.
The pattern comes with an e-book (pdf) on fitting and is very comprehensive. It includes adjustments for a flat bum and skinny legs - the opposite of what I do.

They also give a whole heap of advice on the placement of the back pockets and it really does make a difference. Together with the subtle curves they put into the pocket designs and a front waist stay (a bit of help with controlling any over-exuberant tummies), it's a great pattern and instruction set.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 17:12:39 PM by dolcevita »

Sewingsue

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2020, 15:00:06 PM »
They look great. Top stitching is really good.

That pattern sounds worth the money especially with the fitting book.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Clareew

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2020, 13:40:51 PM »
Well worth the effort to do such wonderful top stitching.  They look superb.

Helen M

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2020, 14:10:43 PM »
Fabulous top stitching!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Morzel

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2020, 14:36:07 PM »
I also had good results sewing up the ginger jeans. And I really liked their jeans sew-along to guide me through the process. Very instructive, very well shown.
Your sewing looks great! I bet they also feel good on the body. Next pair already cut out?!  ;)
Eva