The Sewing Place

Help needed please - why does my binding seem to grow?

Ploshkin

Re: Help needed please - why does my binding seem to grow?
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2020, 07:58:29 AM »
@Kitten there ain't much wrong with that binding!  Stand back, put your magnifying glass away and give yourself a pat on the back  :)
Life's too short for ironing.

Acorn

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2020, 09:32:26 AM »
Wot she said ^ !!  :thumbsup:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2020, 09:40:54 AM »
Oooohhhhhh!!!

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

rubywishes

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2020, 08:18:35 AM »
Yeah but.......I heard a pretty convincing argument that stated that if you cut your binding on the grain (LOF) rather than across it (WOF) then you just have one long continuous grain along your binded edge and if that wears or tears for whatever reason you then risk the whole length of the binding being compromised. If you use WOF, then a "wear" spot or tear may not be as catastrophic as it will only pertain to that one spot. Also, a little bit of give such as you would get with WOF binding may be more forgiving under stress of use than LOF Yeah?..got it? Clear as mud eh! :thinking:

Oh the perils and conundrums of it all :faints:
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Ploshkin

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2020, 15:26:18 PM »
Like so many things there isn't necessarily a right way.  You just need to think about the different properties and behaviour of length, width and bias strips.
When I do log cabin blocks I always cut strips on the lengthwise grain if I can.  Because it's got no stretch you get nice, square blocks without any distortion.
Life's too short for ironing.

Morzel

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2020, 07:15:02 AM »
@Kitten that calendar is soo cute! Did you buy the panel twice to add the pockets? The back fabric is lovely too - your Grandchild is a lucky kid!
Eva

Iminei

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2020, 09:06:42 AM »
@Morzel  ... Ready made advent calendar panels generally come with all the bits needed to complete them.

I bought a Makower Christmas stocking advent calendar thing one year but added satin linings and glittery hanging tags ... I cant find pics of them now but I gave them to @Sakar  for a Christmas present a couple of years ago .
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Morzel

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2020, 09:30:29 AM »
@Morzel  ... Ready made advent calendar panels generally come with all the bits needed to complete them.

One never stops learning... I never knew! Too bad I am not in need of an advent calendar. A quick online search turned up quite a few I liked...
Eva

Kitten

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2020, 10:25:33 AM »
Thank you @Morzel.
As @Iminei said it was a panel which had all the pockets ready to add.  The backing fabric was something I just "needed" and then found a use for, as you do...  ;)

Do you have to "need" an advent calendar?  They make a good decoration even if not filled  :D