The Sewing Place

Help needed please - why does my binding seem to grow?

Kitten

Help needed please - why does my binding seem to grow?
« on: October 04, 2020, 09:45:55 AM »
I need help please.
Every time I sew something quilted, mug rug, advent calendar, quilt, doesn't matter what, no matter how much I clip or pin by the time I get back to the beginning the binding seems to have grown.
I use a walking foot but would have thought that would help me.
I have a Brother machine which is supposed to adjust the tension automatically, and to be fair I've had no issues with that.
I've tried lengthening the stitch (normal is 2.5, so tried 3 and 3.5), and also reducing the tension (from 4 to 3.5).

I don't know what else to try but it makes me not want to make anything I need to bind because I get annoyed I can't get it right.

Anything else I can try?  All help gratefully received.

Thanks
Kitten

BrendaP

Re: Help needed please - why does my binding seem to grow?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 09:58:31 AM »
@Kitten  Have you cut the binding on grain or on the bias?

Bias binding will stretch, and is used to bind around curved edges.  If your quilt is square or rectangular with straight edges you should use binding cut on grain - and preferably the lengthwise / warp grain as that is more stable than widthwise weft direction.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2020, 10:02:39 AM »
When I bind a quilt I don't join the edges until most of it is stitched down.  Leave a couple of inches of binding loose at the begining, sew it down to within a few inches of the end.  Stop and remove from the machine, cut off the excess, align the ends and stitch together.  Now complete the sewing to the quilt.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2020, 10:08:32 AM »
@Kitten are you not doing your connecting seam on the binding seam at the end of attaching the binding? If you do it that way your binding could be as long as you like and still work.

As mentioned bias will stretch so if you apply tension to it or have the presser foot pressure too high that might be part of it.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Pearl

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2020, 10:14:48 AM »
This might be useful, @Kitten .  (I have to watch a video every time I do binding  :S )

SingingSinger

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2020, 10:31:19 AM »
I followed this video which was easy to understand joining binding
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

Kenora

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2020, 11:04:29 AM »
I never clip or pin my binding down but leave it loose and tension it as I go. You don't need much, just a slight pull on it as you stitch - but make sure first that you're not using binding cut on the bias.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Kitten

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2020, 11:23:53 AM »
Thanks @Pearl that was very useful.

I think maybe I have 2 issues,
1) I'm using bias binding - although trying to be careful not to stretch, and
2) I'm trying to clip all round when maybe I should leave it loose.  Thanks for that tip @Kenora

I have 4 advent calendars to bind today so will try leaving loose and since I have already got the bias binding I wanted to use, be very careful not to pull it.

Flobear

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2020, 11:30:45 AM »
I wonder if some spray starch on the bias binding would help it not to stretch so much  :thinking:
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Kitten

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2020, 11:34:52 AM »
Thanks @SingingSinger another one saved as a favourite.
I'll have to get some and try that @Flobear

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2020, 16:51:22 PM »
Unless you have a curved or scalloped edge cut your binding across Width of Fabric .. do not use Bias binding.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2020, 18:06:13 PM »
Never ever use bb
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Deafoldbat

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2020, 19:21:45 PM »
"There are nine and sixty ways of constructing tribal lays,
"And—every—single—one—of—them—is—right!"

Similarly there's more than one way to bind a quilt, and every one of them is right too!
Bias binding for curved edges, otherwise cut on the straight grain.
Single or double fold according to preference/amount of fabric you have.

You don't have to do it in one continuous strip. You can sew the strips on each side separately and either butt or mitre the corners, according to whim/skill. The main aim is to get a neat finish acceptable to your standards. Practice will help. ;)

Kitten

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2020, 19:43:02 PM »
Thank you all so much for your help.
Thought you might like to see how I got on today, it's not as wobbly as it looks, it's resting on a chair. 
I have used bias binding, since that is what I bought for the job, but following the "don't clip" and the method for closing the binding, I'm much happier with how this has turned out, not perfect but better than usual.

Good job it has really as it's for my 2 year old granddaughter.

Thanks again.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]   usual.

BrendaP

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2020, 23:38:23 PM »
Unless you have a curved or scalloped edge cut your binding across Width of Fabric .. do not use Bias binding.

Cutting binding across the width of the fabric is generally much more ecconomical than cutting it lengthways, but lengthways is always a bit more stable /less stretchy than widthways and stability is what you want from a quilt binding. 

It's also the reason why clothes and curtains etc are nearly always cut lengthways.  I have a summer dress made from a border fabric and so cut crossways - I can feel that it's different every time I put it on.

To understand what I mean take a decent size piece of woven fabric (knits are different!) a FQ is ideal.  Grasp it firmly in two corners and tug along the lengthways grain, and then do the same tugging along the widthways grain.  You will feel more 'give' on the cross grain, and if you then try pulling diagonally on the bias it will give/stretch considerably more.