The Sewing Place

Curtain alterations

annieeg

Curtain alterations
« on: October 06, 2020, 09:56:58 AM »
I'm altering curtains for my sister and she's changing her track to a swish gliderail or similar.
Currently the curtains have a 3" deep header tape.  I'm wondering if i should replace it with a narrower tape? 
Any opinions would be most appreciated

Gernella

Re: Curtain alterations
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 10:05:06 AM »
Personally I think a 3 inch tape looks good whatever you have.  You don't often see good quality bought or made to measure curtains with anything less other than separate linings.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Helen M

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 10:07:36 AM »
Is this track a motorised one and what kind does she have at the moment?

Curtains generally have 3" deep header tape, sometimes even deeper.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2020, 10:09:57 AM »
I agree with @Gernella and @Helen M  - 3" is pretty much standard, and I think it always looks better than anything narrower.

Do have a good look at the tape and see if it's showing signs of wear though.  Unless they're fairly new curtains (or have very high quality header tape) it will probably be best to replace it with new.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Helen M

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2020, 10:15:47 AM »
Just seen your message on 'today's thread and agree with@Acorn's response about shortening them from the top. That is the way they taught me in a soft furnishings course 20 years ago. Having made them the other way, ie hems last, they are much easier to do by putting the tape on last.

Also agree about getting new tape, apart from anything else it saves all that dratted unpicking! The stiffer the tape the better the curtains will look.

annieeg

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2020, 11:02:33 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback.  3" tape it is then - and I'll replace with new. 
 :D

annieeg

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2020, 11:07:18 AM »
Does anyone have a recommendation for a brand of good quality curtain tape (its a minefield of choice)?

Greybird

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2020, 11:11:25 AM »

annieeg

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2020, 11:36:41 AM »
Your input is invaluable - thank you!
One more question, what is the appropriate length to hang below the window sill?  i.e., if the length from track to sill is 101 cms, should I allow a further 6 cms to hang below the window? 

Greybird

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2020, 12:08:48 PM »
@annieeg - as a personal preference I always make curtains either floor length or within a cm or two of the lower edge of the sill. I can't bear them anywhere between the sill and the floor. If they are to be used with tiebacks or holdbacks you can do with a little more length though.

If, however, the sill extends further into the room than the curtain pole/track, they will need to just brush the top of the sill or they won't hang straight.

Helen M

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2020, 12:15:39 PM »
@annieeg have just measured all my windows (I was curious and wasn't sure!). Mine are all 4-4 1/2" that's 10-11cms. Some of my curtains I've made but others are bought and all the 'drops' are 54" or 137cm. Which is one of the standard lengths if you are buying ready made curtains.

It might be an idea to ask what is the drop from the top of her curtain track to the bottom of the window sill. Also maybe you could ask her to measure the actual window drop just so you know what you're working with.

Just another thing. I'm assuming the new track will be fitted in the same position, ie height as the old, but do the curtains 'hide' the track when they are closed or do they hang below with hooks that are visible like they would from a curtain pole? Hope this makes sense! If it's the latter the length will need to be adjusted.

With the 3" deep tape there are usually 3 tiers of slots for they curtain hooks. This will allow you to 'adjust' the length slightly if they will hide the track eventually. I usually use the top rung but it can depend on the track.

Is there a radiator under this window? Mine sit about 4" above the radiator but again it's a personal choice. Perhaps you could ask your sister where her other curtains finish in other rooms if they are sill length.

Sorry to be so long winded but we had a very good teacher, her daughter had a soft furnishings shop and she gave a talk on all the prep you should do before you start to measure for your curtains.

I'd err on the side of caution before cutting as you can't put it back.

annieeg

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2020, 12:32:04 PM »
@Greybird @Helen M
Great minds think alike! :D
I've posed all those questions - particularly whether the track will be replaced in the same position.  I've suggested I don't start measuring or cutting until the new track is in place.
This is quite a palaver!  (I'm glad I'm getting a bit of money for it, as its quite a big job to take on Free of Charge :[)
I will come back to you again (if i may) once I have all the measurements and just ask you to double-check for me ;)

BrendaP

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2020, 13:46:31 PM »
@annieeg
It might be an idea to ask what is the drop from the top of her curtain track to the bottom of the window sill. Also maybe you could ask her to measure the actual window drop just so you know what you're working with.

Yes, get all the measurements you can.  Another important vital measurement is from the bottom of the eyelets on the track where the hook goes through down to the required length.  If you know that you should be able to work out just where the curtain will sit in relation to the track/pole.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

annieeg

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2020, 12:44:43 PM »
Sorry - I have yet another question .... :(
I've now discovered the floor length curtains in question have a 5 3/4" deep header tape (see picture).
As they are being cut short, and the curtain rail changed to a glide rail, I think that header depth would be out of proportion to the shorter curtain.  Do you agree?
Just checking before I tell my sister to purchase new header tape.
Thanks all. :D  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Greybird

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2020, 12:53:24 PM »
The tape in the picture has an additional section above the hooks. This may have been used where the gliders hung beneath the track - Swish for example - and the extra section was needed to cover the track itself. You need to check this before you go any further. I agree that 3" would be more suited, visually, to short curtains, but the hooks would need to be inserted on the bottom-most row of the tape in order to cover the track. Can you get a picture of the track?