The Sewing Place

Curtain alterations

Elnnina

Re: Curtain alterations
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2020, 13:14:39 PM »
Annieg just been reading all of this.  Last year I had some problems with curtains tracks, Swish no longer exist for Curtain Rails and all their accessories, so any Swish track that is found is really old stock.  I eventually found a Swish Austrian Blind rail.  Whoever sold it to me via the internet, had wrapped it up extremely well in black sticky tape, but what a mess inside the tape - the plastic packaging around the rail itself was very old and breaking away as I touched it, and the mess I had to clear up afterwards was not much fun I kept on finding little slithers of this  old  plastic  which had turned brown was everywhere and they were very sharp.  The track itself was fine.

Swish have moved across to outside boarding etc.

Rufflette also no longer exist, they were taken over by an Austrian company.  So again any tape bought now there is a chance that it is not quite the same height as the old tape.

Helen M

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2020, 13:55:09 PM »
Swish were taken over by Silent Gliss.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

annieeg

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2020, 15:28:35 PM »
The tape in the picture has an additional section above the hooks. This may have been used where the gliders hung beneath the track - Swish for example - and the extra section was needed to cover the track itself. You need to check this before you go any further. I agree that 3" would be more suited, visually, to short curtains, but the hooks would need to be inserted on the bottom-most row of the tape in order to cover the track. Can you get a picture of the track?
This is the track my sister has chosen:
https://www.dunelm.com/product/swish-sologlyde-track-1000011673

The attached picture shows the position of the two windows.
Small one is 120cm wide and 80cm high
Gap to ceiling is 15cm

Big window is 144cm wide and 131cm high
Gap to ceiling/coving is 4cm

As you can see the small window track will need to go just above the top of the window due to the lack of space;
where do you think the track for the large window should be positioned ?

Any input would be much appreciated. :D

Greybird

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2020, 15:38:07 PM »
No that one will be fine. You can use the 3" tape and choose which hook position is the most convenient. The original swish had the gliders hanging down below so that you could see the track.

annieeg

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2020, 17:00:42 PM »
@Greybird
Sorry but another hiccup. My sister has actually bought this
https://www.dunelm.com/product/swish-supreme-glide-aluminium-track-1000051585
Will that work with the 3" tape and will she have to put hooks in middle or bottom row in order to cover the track when they are closed?
Thanks, as always,
Annie

Helen M

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2020, 17:15:40 PM »
I'd say you'd need to use the bottom row to hide the track. My Silent Gliss track looks identical.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Greybird

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2020, 22:59:58 PM »
Yes, I'd say bottom row.

Hummingbird

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2020, 11:36:24 AM »
That second track with proper gliders is a better option imho - the first one can be prone to sticking and being difficult to open/close the curtains.

annieeg

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2020, 11:56:19 AM »
Ok - so at last I have the measurements and just need help (PLEASE) to confirm my calculations.

Length from Track to window sill                                   130 cms
Required overhang over window sill                                10 cms
Turndown at top of curtain before attaching header tape   3 cms
SO:
Measure from bottom of hemmed curtain to cutting point     143cms (145 for safety)

Does this make sense  :headbang:

BrendaP

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2020, 12:09:06 PM »
@annieeg is the header tape going to rise above the track?  If so you need to allow for that as well.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

annieeg

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2020, 12:34:52 PM »
Ok - so at last I have the measurements and just need help (PLEASE) to confirm my calculations.

Length from Track to window sill                                   130 cms
Required overhang over window sill                                10 cms
Turndown at top of curtain before attaching header tape   3 cms
SO:
Measure from bottom of hemmed curtain to cutting point     143cms (145 for safety)

Does this make sense  :headbang:
@BrendaP
Header tape is 7.5 cms deep (top to bottom)
Hooks are to be inserted on 3rd row (down) which is approximately 6.5 cms from top of tape.
Should I add another 7 cms to cut curtain to be safe? 
SO: 
Final measurement cutting point from hem of curtain would be: 150 cms (rounded) or would you go slightly longer?

BrendaP

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2020, 12:56:56 PM »
@annieeg
You need to measure from the top of the hook, ie the 3rd row down on the tape, which if the tape is 7.5cm and the 3rd row is 6.5cm from the top it will be 1cm from the bottom.

That means bottom of curtain to 3rd row = 140 cm (130cm + 10cm)
Plus the other 6.5cm to get to the top of the tape
Plus 0.5cm for turn of fabric
Plus about 2cm for tucking in behind the tape

That means cutting 149cm long
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

annieeg

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2020, 10:51:45 AM »
How do you tell the difference between the top and bottom of a header tape - my tape has a faint blue liine running through both edges and a yellow line on one edge.  Does the yellow line denote top of tape?

Greybird

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2020, 10:58:57 AM »
No idea. I just decide one way or the other and stick to it.

annieeg

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2020, 11:38:54 AM »
According to Google (which I should have checked first before pestering you all :|) - here's the answer to the top/bottom question of curtain tape:
Ensure that the tape is the correct way up - yellow line at the bottom, and that the hook pockets are facing you. Machine the tape to the curtain along the turquoise sewing lines, leaving 3mm between the top of the tape and the top of the curtain. The top and bottom rows must be stitched in the same direction.
UNQUOTE