The Sewing Place

A jumper for my jeans

dolcevita

A jumper for my jeans
« on: October 06, 2020, 14:49:14 PM »
I picked up a couple of sweater knits in fabricland last week for lightweight jumpers. I've had plenty of this before and it's good for a season or two before it bobbles but it washes well and is comfortable to wear.
I have yet to make up the second one, but wanted this made up to go with my new jeans. The pattern is an adaptation of an Ottobre knit dress that I made a few years ago and I really liked the shoulder detail. The back shoulder extends into the front and then joins where you can see my line of piping. I edged the neckline with the black part of the fabric and let it extend outwards a fraction to make it look like piping along the edge and give a crisper finish.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Efemera

Re: A jumper for my jeans
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 15:11:39 PM »
Very smart...

Ellabella

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 16:05:37 PM »
Such well matched stripes.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2020, 16:25:01 PM »
Smashing  :loveit:
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

annieeg

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2020, 16:52:53 PM »
Lovely :loveit:  Did you use a coverstitch machine for the edging ?

dolcevita

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2020, 17:24:29 PM »
Lovely :loveit:  Did you use a coverstitch machine for the edging ?

I did, @annieeg . Most of the top was sewn on the overlocker, including the first pass to attach the binding to the neckline. I then hand tacked it under to make sure it was nice and even with just the right depth poking out to give a piped effect, then used the coverstitch to sew it down. I also used the coverstitch for the hems.

Lilian

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2020, 18:04:14 PM »
Very nicely made @dolcevita  :) Love the shoulder detail and the stripe.
Willing but not always able :)

Surest1tch

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2020, 19:36:48 PM »
That's really nice, it shows great skill

Vezelay

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2020, 22:38:48 PM »
Oh I like that shoulder detail and your pattern matching is enviable!

coffeeandcake

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2020, 09:37:37 AM »
Lovely :loveit:

Sakar

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2020, 10:32:54 AM »
Excellent!  :loveit:

dolcevita

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2020, 12:12:10 PM »
Thanks, all.

For anyone who would like it, here's how I do my pattern matching, in this case just for the stripes on my jumper which is one direction only on the matching.

Most of my patterns are traced from the likes of Burda and Ottobre magazines. I never add seam allowances when I trace, prefering to draw these onto the fabric around the pattern pieces that are laid on the cloth. I find this gives me better accuracy and also more flexibility if I want to use different size of seam allowance.

For pattern matching, it's much easier without seam allowances. All I do is ensure that the point of the armscye/side seams is exactly aligned for the front, back and sleeves. I never try and match from the top of any of the pieces as they vary too much and you notice the alignment far more across the main torso of the body, so this is where I choose my area for the matching to be. The photo below shows what I mean - it really is simple when you do it this way.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2020, 12:38:57 PM »
Like the shape of the front @dolcevita.  It’s a great way of adding width where needed.  My tops are shaped that way too.   :)

Nevis5

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2020, 13:50:03 PM »
It's lovely @dolcevita  ! It will look great with jeans x