The Sewing Place

Regent Academy Fashion Design and Dressmaking course.

JenHampson

Regent Academy Fashion Design and Dressmaking course.
« on: August 19, 2022, 10:16:04 AM »
Good morning,  :D

I am new to this lovely group and wanted at ask if anyone has completed or going through the Regent academy Fashion design course? I am thinking about doing it, but want to ensure its worth the cost and the accreditation is useful.
Any advice very welcome  :rolleyes:

Iminei

Re: Regent Academy Fashion Design and Dressmaking course.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2022, 10:31:36 AM »
Welcome to TSP... Im sure there will be someone along shortly with answers to your questions ...
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Kad

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2022, 10:42:58 AM »
I'd never heard of the place/course, but I would ask
 -  what level is the course that you study ?
-  who is the awarding body?

Without this information you could not be sure that the courses are recognised by another provider. It does state that you need to complete both courses 1&2 to enroll on a C&G course, but that doesn't determine the level of these courses.

The British Fashion Design academy for instance has courses that are fully accredited and at specific levels :
BTEC diploma equivalent to 3 A-level and BTEC certificate equivalent to 2 A-level
They are, however, considerably more expensive.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 10:49:00 AM by Kad »
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2022, 11:13:11 AM »
Hi Jen,

What is your current level of sewing experience and what do you hope to achieve from the course?

I don’t know anything about them so I had a look at their website and there’s very little information about their teaching methods other than saying they’re accredited for online teaching. Sewing is a very practical hands-on skill and if they’re only offering online tuition, then you might be better off initially trying some good YouTube videos such as…

Made to Sew
Stitch Sisters
Debbie Shaw

Hope this is of some help?

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2022, 11:24:58 AM »
I have to agree with the others.  Are you a beginner or have some experience?   What do you want to achieve?   Are you hoping this will lead to some sort of career/work?  Is it just for pleasure?  Or is it personal satisfaction that you’ve achieved something?   

As @WildAtlanticWay said sewing and particularly dressmaking is a subject that is best taught face to face.  It is very difficult to explain some techniques. They can sound very complicated when written but when seen they become very simple to understand. 

JenHampson

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2022, 14:08:08 PM »
Wow, thank you guys so much for your responses.
I have a little knowledge and know some basics, I would like to start my own business doing alterations etc, would I need formal qualifications for this or can I do it without do you know guys?
Thanks again for your advice.  :grouphug:

Elnnina

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2022, 18:34:05 PM »
The best person to ask about alterations is Sandra here on TSP as this is her full time job working from home, I am sure she could give you lots of advice and head you in the right direction.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2022, 18:59:37 PM »
You might also benefit from completing a short business course to help you with pricing your work, paying tax and any legal implications of working from home. You can often access free advice and training on setting up in business via your local council or job centre. Best of luck!

@Sandra 
You're the alterations expert here. 😁
What are your thoughts on the essential requirements for setting up a business offering alterations?

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2022, 20:13:40 PM »
@JenHampson to do an alterations business you do need some business savvy but mostly you need to be a competent and confident sewist. Generally your client knows exactly what they want, can't do it themselves and expects you to be a genius at figuring it out.

If you're not competent no one will be satisfied with the work. If you're not also confident in your abilities and experienced you won't be able to know how much time various things take to complete or what you need to charge to make it worthwhile.

You don't need any accreditation to do alterations. You need experience. I would start by altering everything my family owned that could possibly need any alterations. Take buttons off shirts and put them back on. Better yet, remove half of them then put those back on so they properly match the others. Take a perfectly good zipper out of a skirt or pants and then reinsert it. Shorten a pair of pants half a centimeter.

Maybe do some work for friends for experience. Then visualize doing that for eight hours a day. How many days a week would you enjoy doing it?

BTW from what I know from friends is that if you're working for private clients they are always in a rush.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2022, 20:23:57 PM »
Excellent advice from @Renegade Sewist
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2022, 21:57:16 PM »
I agree with what  @Renegade Sewist said.  You need to know what you’re doing.  But something else you will need is to be able to work fairly quickly.  I’m sure @Sandra will back me up on that. 
I used to do alterations and if you can’t work at speed you don’t earn! 

Sandra

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2022, 09:25:40 AM »
Hello!

I think the main thing I've got is experience. The only relevant sewing related qualification I've got is my CSE Grade 1 in Needlework from leaving school in 1982.  ><
I've never been to college or an evening class. I have no special certificate/s and I've never been on a course.

I worked full time in an alterations shop for 8 years where I learned everything in the job with hands-on experience. I left there working solo in a Dry Cleaning shop where I realised that I really was able to alter and repair clothes without any input from colleagues - it was entirely down to me  :)(it was a revelation. I have no confidence in my own ability) so when they closed down I went self employed. I'd got about 12 years experience by this time.

I've only ever worked from home with no business premises so I can't help you with that. I try not to advertise myself because I don't want Tom, Dick and Harry knocking on the door of my private home. However, word sometimes spreads and my number has been passed on. I'm a useful person to know.  :rolleyes:
I've recently moved house though so my old number is no longer obtainable.  :ninja:

My main work comes in from a local Dry Cleaning shop and a menswear shop. They deliver the work and collect (bless 'em  :thumb:). I don't drive so it'd be a big struggle to transport sometimes bulky and heavy clothes and curtains on the bus.
I contacted a number of local businesses to see if anyone needed an alterations service but many of them already had someone. Came up trumps with my menswear shop.

Check out what alterations businesses are charging in your area so you can roughly and fairly match the price.

I've never done a business course but if you're hoping to open a shop you might find it handy. I simply work on a self employed basis and complete the self-assessment forms online at the end of my working year.

I'd better make a start on my work but I'll be back on later if there's anything I've missed and you need to ask something.  :)

Sandra.
xxx

So Chic

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2022, 12:31:42 PM »
Very good advice from everyone especially Sandra.   I've occasionally done very basic alterations for friends/relatives but I don't sew fast enough to make money so left it to them to decide if money or a present was appropriate.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up