The Sewing Place

Craftsy membership offer

Acorn

Re: Craftsy membership offer
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2020, 18:40:38 PM »
You can email them and ask them to cancel the auto renewal straight away if you want to - I did it a couple of days after I took out the subscription.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Roger

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2020, 21:05:01 PM »
I edited the expiry date of my credit card to May next year to prevent renewals- theoretically their system should error it or the CC company will throw a tizz because the details arent right...
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Marniesews

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2020, 21:07:42 PM »
Very sneaky Roger - I like it!  0_0
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Puzzler

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2020, 07:47:18 AM »
I didn’t realise you could fib about the expiry date. I would have thought I’d get a “computer says NO message”

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2020, 12:49:00 PM »
I would have thought it would throw up an error as not all the info matches

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2020, 17:54:58 PM »
@Roger

That doesn’t guarantee they won’t debit your bank account sadly. Something to do with you having agreed to an auto renewal. That’s why you have to specifically cancel the auto renewal with the company directly, rather than rely on the card company declining payment.

Roger

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2020, 21:07:54 PM »
the Craftsy set up is odd, and lets you update the expiry date of the card after you've paid - which I've never seen anywhere else. if I attempted to pay with a card with the wrong expiry date the bank should definitely throw it out. To be fair you could probably change just about any other detail too like the card number and its definitely not going to work after that.

@WildAtlanticWay you're not thinking of direct debit are you? because that accesses your account directly and grants the holder the ability to update the amount and doesn't expire until the end of the contract? while card payments should respect the details provided on the card and if they're wrong the bank should refuse them as they appear to be fraudulent.
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Puzzler

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2020, 08:21:37 AM »
I've succumbed.  :| Please could someone tell me what details they are putting in the email to cancel the auto-renewal?

Acorn

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2020, 08:40:12 AM »
All I said was that I took out membership on such-and-such a date and would like to cancel the automatic renewal, that although I hoped they would be able to tempt me to renew I prefered it not to happen automatically. 

I think that as long as it comes from the email address you use for Craftsy they won't need any other details.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Puzzler

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2020, 16:00:20 PM »
What do you know? I emailed Craftsy yesterday to cancel the direct debit and just received a reply acknowledging they were cancelling my automatic renewal. That was quick.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2020, 06:07:54 AM »
I just canceled my membership. It was set to renew the 29th so the 28th was plenty of time.  ;) I managed to use my remaining 9 class credits first.

I'm going to talk to them about a deal as I watched one class this year. I actually watched some other things too but none of that was brought from bluprint to the new Craftsy. It isn't worth $79 or even the $39 I paid for 2020 when you compare features. No more shopping with free shipping, no more fabulous fabric at great prices, no more tai chi class  :'( , etc. And the scrap quilt classes-gone! >:)
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2021, 05:39:05 AM »
I had to call Craftsy to cancel as the website is still buggy and some parts aren't working. She said I could indeed sign up for $5 so Wednesday my account reflected the cancelation and I signed right up after being directed to log in to my existing account.

I was also offered an upgrade for an additional $9. It provides 8 own forever classes and 10 patterns. It includes an "ask an expert " component, coming soon.

Turns out you apparently only get to choose from a list of about 50 preselected classes,  not the 1500 they offer. Most are a vague description, no mention of the instructor. There's a button to click for more information but all it did was show me a larger copy of the class photo. The few I checked weren't part of the regular class offerings so there was basically no way to get information about them until you redeemed the coupon code for them.

I'll probably be canceling that upgrade.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Puzzler

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2021, 08:38:42 AM »
@Renegade Sewist, someone on Pattern Review provided a list of those classes. Not sure the link will work but the list is on this page: https://sewing.patternreview.com/SewingDiscussions/topic/117495/2
If not, the thread is called “Any insight on Craftsy Gold?”

William

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2021, 19:31:00 PM »
Hello all-

Craftsy is now offering a membership for $3 for new members.

Since i really like "He sewed, She sewed" i fugured for that alone it was worth it.

WD
...it was a Hobbit hole, and that meant comfort.

realale

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2021, 19:43:10 PM »
I've been a member for years but when the Bluprint thing was failing I downloaded about 80 classes. At first my enticement back was 10% off etc etc it finally came down to $2.49 but I'm very wary of the automatic renewal thingy. Besides is there anything new beyond the 80+ I've downloaded?
I'll hold fire and see what happens with any new classes as I think it may take me a time to work through my 80+ classes!! :|
So many beers, so little time.