The Sewing Place

Assembling pdf patterns

sewingj

Assembling pdf patterns
« on: October 08, 2020, 15:55:47 PM »
I`ve printed off my Sinclair Sandy tunic but could do with a bit of help assembling the pages.  I`ve only used one other pdf pattern and did find it hard lining up the pages accurately and keeping the whole pattern  "square".  The two options seem to be glue sticks or sticky tape but I found both of those tricky if I needed to reposition a page.

Any advice/tips would be appreciated

Acorn

Re: Assembling pdf patterns
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 16:01:55 PM »
Fran wrote a tutorial here.

I use sellotape, although masking tape does seem like a good idea for repositioning.  I have my sellotape in one of those heavy dispensers which means that I can take a piece off with one hand, and it also holds down one of the pieces I'm taping.

I also do tape the whole lot - one row, then adding to it one piece at a time, but again, I think Fran's method is probably better.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 16:28:59 PM by Acorn »
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ellabella

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 16:23:47 PM »
If you are using sticky tape I strongly recommend using Scotch magic tape. 

I don’t usually go for a branded product, always look for cheaper alternatives but I find magic tape invaluable for sticking patterns together. 

As Acorn says use a dispenser so you can do it one handed.

I try to use a small piece of tape to start with and I don’t press it down too firmly, then when I am happy that things are lined up ok I add longer lengths of tape and press down well.

It’s a bit faffy this way but gives you a good chance of getting things correct.

mudcat

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 16:50:34 PM »
I use tape. I think I want to buy a dispenser though because it would make life easier. I would be afraid of making a mess with glue.  I used to tape the whole thing but now I only tape each pattern piece.  It seems to end up more accurate that way.

Also for the actual sheets I use the rotary cutter to trim the sides I'm taping on top of the piece that already has an edge ... if that makes sense.

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2020, 17:11:17 PM »
I don't stick the sheets together.  I trace on to a sheet of tracing paper ( I use Burda pattern paper).  I start with the top LH corner and trace the pattern piece and the corner registration  marks.  I line up the registration marks of the next sheet and trace and so on.
I only use pdfs for tops so they aren't too big.  I wouldn't bother to use them at all if there wasn't an alternative to sticking the sheets together as I couldn't face doing that.

Life's too short for ironing.

mudcat

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2020, 17:21:53 PM »
@Ploshkin I haven't tried that method yet. I think I will.  So do you just do one pattern piece at a time?

Vezelay

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2020, 18:04:33 PM »
I use either Scotch Magic tape (cheap bulk buy from Amazon) or Tesco glue sticks, as the mood takes me. Yesterday I used glue for a Jalie jacket pdf. I find either is easy to reposition for a short while after the initial stick-on. I try to be as precise as possible but only for pages where that matters (ie within the same pattern piece). My 50gsm paper seems easier to position than the 80gsm I used formerly but maybe I've just had more practice?

UttaRetch

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2020, 18:04:40 PM »
@sewingj: I use

which lifts off even from pattern tissue, although you have to be gentle.  You could also use small sticky notes.

Ploshkin

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2020, 18:09:24 PM »
@mudcat  it depends what the pattern is and how many sheets there are.
I keep the tile layout in view for reference and do a row at a time if I need the whole sheet but if it is a pattern where I don't need to use all the pieces then I will just do the pieces I need.
Life's too short for ironing.

sewingj

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2020, 18:57:49 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I have some Magic Tape and masking tape so will have a play tomorrow

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2020, 19:21:10 PM »
Another magic tape fan.  I got through loads of it at college!   I also bulk buy from Amazon after I found several years ago that I couldn’t get the large reels in any shops near me. 

Helen M

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2020, 20:33:14 PM »
Yet another Magic Tape fan!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

BrendaP

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2020, 20:39:23 PM »
Magic tape and lightweight (50 gsm) paper works best for me.  That reminds me I'm almost out of it having printed off the Sinclair Sandy Knit Tunic yesterday.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Tamnymore

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2020, 21:39:15 PM »
I have used Magic tape but I find ordinary Sellotape to be fine. A tape dispenser is a must. I don't tape together the whole pattern. Instead I construct each pattern piece one at a time. It's much less unwieldy that way and easier to keep things aligned.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Tamnymore

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2020, 14:57:38 PM »
Has anyone tried McCall or Butterick patterns as pdf downloads from the US website? I'm used to Stylearc pdfs where the patterns usually have lots of clean lines and instructions for printing and sticking together - even if the garment constuction instructions are 'sparse'.

I ordered Butterick 6784, a new Katherine Tilton paper dress pattern in a Butterick sale on the US site but it was out of stock so I've just bought it as a pdf. Of course being a Tilton pattern it is full of fussy pattern pieces. There are 2 sheets with a total of 100 A4 pages. Like me my printer is somewhat elderly and is likely to object to printing more than a couple of pages at a time so that's an all day job!

Stylearc patterns include a 10cm square so you can check you are printing things the right size but I don't see anything like that in the Butterick pattern. I assume you just set things to 'print exact size'. Wish me luck!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde