The Sewing Place

Where to buy 100% cotton fabric for a man's tee shirt

Giotto

Where to buy 100% cotton fabric for a man's tee shirt
« on: January 26, 2021, 16:58:21 PM »
I have always sewn with woven fabric until I recently got an overlocker.  I decided to try to make my first knit garment and successfully made a tee shirt for my husband.  I looked in his wardrobe and discovered that all his tee shirts are made of 100% cotton.  I was having difficulty finding similar fabric to buy but eventually bought an "Organic Cotton Interlock" fabric from Guthrie & Ghani.  The project went well, I'm happy to say, and so I'd like to make more.  The Interlock fabric is a bit thicker than normal tee shirt fabric but I'm having problems finding normal tee shirt fabric that isn't 95% cotton plus 5% spandex/elastane.  Has anyone any ideas about where to purchase 100% cotton jersey?

Alikat

Re: Where to buy 100% cotton fabric for a man's tee shirt
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 17:18:16 PM »
Try vendfabrics.co.uk. I think they sell in smaller quantities as well as wholesale and they do quite a few colours.

Giotto

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 21:02:57 PM »
Thank you, Alikat.  Can you tell me what the prices on vend fabrics refer to?  They have 100% cotton single jersey fabric advertised at £2.90 - but that's surely not per metre, is it?

Alikat

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 10:22:23 AM »
Am sorry I don't know as i have never ordered any but just have the swatches of samples they sent me.  You're right it does seem very reasonable.  It might be worth giving them a ring to check. I think some of it comes tubular - check website for widths.  Looks like postage is £6.50.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 10:52:56 AM »
There’s quite a few on Minerva. 
But there’s also some cotton as well as bamboo  on Lamazi.  I have had quite a bit from them and they’re generally quick and the fabric is lovely.  My DIL says the tee shirts I make for grandsons are the best they have because the fabric is so soft.  I usually try to make sure it’s OEKO certified or organic. 

https://www.minerva.com/mp?type=Fabrics&substrate=Jersey&gclid=CjwKCAiAu8SABhAxEiwAsodSZBbh6xP7DHoFNE6jQLM600vh-6lUc_rsly4iro3kwCQI8K1FoiROTRoCkcUQAvD_BwE&fibre=Cotton

https://lamazifabrics.com/collections/jersey-fabrics/jersey?page=1&sort_by=price-ascending

sewingj

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 11:15:18 AM »
Quite often if you search for cotton jersey it actual contains a small percentage of lycra when you check the details.
I have bought 100% cotton jersey from Driessenstoffen but their selection is a bit floral for a man`s t-shirt
https://driessenstoffen.nl/de/producten/?q=katoen      Don`t be put off by them being Dutch, several people here have used them and not had any problems.

If you are prepared to try it you will find that fabric with a bit of lycra/elastane  will actually hold it`s shape much better and if it`s only 5% the fabric will still feel very natural.   
I`ve just bought some of this and it is really nice quality
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plain-Colour-Cotton-JERSEY-Stretch-Knit-T-shirt-Baby-Grow-Dressmaking-Fabric/283019983031?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=584301442366&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 11:30:59 AM »
Aaghh just realised you asked for no Lycra.  I actually won’t bother  with jersey without the Lycra or elastane because it just goes out of shape so quickly.  Interlock is nice to work with but has a tendency to grow widthways and shrink upwards.  :)

So Chic

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 11:59:58 AM »
I bought some cotton jersey from Fabricland ages ago but the quality wasn’t that good.  I also bought some cotton jersey with a bit of stretch from them and it was much better and easier to sew.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Giotto

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2021, 14:50:01 PM »
There’s quite a few on Minerva. 
But there’s also some cotton as well as bamboo  on Lamazi.  I have had quite a bit from them and they’re generally quick and the fabric is lovely.  My DIL says the tee shirts I make for grandsons are the best they have because the fabric is so soft.  I usually try to make sure it’s OEKO certified or organic. 

Thank you, Ohsewsimple. This kind of information is invaluable.  I like the look of some of those fabrics on Lamazi.

Giotto

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2021, 14:55:54 PM »
If you are prepared to try it you will find that fabric with a bit of lycra/elastane  will actually hold it`s shape much better and if it`s only 5% the fabric will still feel very natural.   
I`ve just bought some of this and it is really nice quality
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plain-Colour-Cotton-JERSEY-Stretch-Knit-T-shirt-Baby-Grow-Dressmaking-Fabric/283019983031?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=584301442366&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Thanks, sewingj. I am not going to give up on the 100% cotton search but I have decided to order some at 95% just to try it out.  I won't tell my husband that it's not completely 100% cotton to see if he mentions anything about the comfort level/feel of it! ;)

Giotto

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2021, 15:09:33 PM »
Interlock is nice to work with but has a tendency to grow widthways and shrink upwards.  :)

My husband has so far only once worn the tee shirt I made him with Guthrie & Ghani's Cotton Interlock fabric, so it's early days for me to see/experience this "width-ways" growth.........but it's great to benefit from the experience of others.  I think the Interlock may be ok for this time of year, or for our northern climate, but I know he would prefer a lighter weight fabric for holidays in hot climates - that's if the time ever comes when we can travel to such places again! :(

Giotto

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2021, 15:11:45 PM »
I bought some cotton jersey from Fabricland ages ago but the quality wasn’t that good.  I also bought some cotton jersey with a bit of stretch from them and it was much better and easier to sew.

Thank you, So Chic.  This kind of thing is good to know.  If I'm going to take the time and make the effort to make a garment I don't want the quality of the fabric to be the cause of me not being able to produce a great end result.

BrendaP

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2021, 23:26:33 PM »
I bought some of this and this from Croft Mill about a week ago - lightweight and 100% cotton. 

Delivery was very prompt; ordered in the evening and despatched the following day, but I see that they are currently swamped with orders and unable to accept more for a while!
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.