The Sewing Place

Hi from a total novice looking for some advice! :)

palmyday

Hi from a total novice looking for some advice! :)
« on: October 03, 2020, 11:16:09 AM »
Hi all,
Thanks for letting me join!!
I recently acquired a Pfaff Creative 1471 and am looking to use the font sewing functions, is there any way to enlarge the font. Currently it sews a letter approx 8mm tall, I would like to sew around 20mm tall, does anyone know if that is that possible?
Regards,
Dave - the novice

Iminei

Re: Hi from a total novice looking for some advice! :)
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2020, 11:30:40 AM »
I dont know about your machine .. If its just a sewing machine the limit to size will be the span of the needle ... Ie the widest zig zag it could do will be the tallest letter.

The Splurgess (My Janome Atelier 7) has a 9mm width.

If however you were using an embroidery machine then yes you can enlarge and decrease designs by a percentage (I think on Elvistoo its about 20%)

Would you like me to move this topic to a properly dedicated area ??
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2020, 12:12:54 PM »
Like @Iminei says you need an embroidery machine for that.  The Pfaff 1471 was a nice machine but not capable of doing what you want.

palmyday

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2020, 19:10:46 PM »
Like @Iminei says you need an embroidery machine for that.  The Pfaff 1471 was a nice machine but not capable of doing what you want.

Oh well, many thanks for the replies guys, guess I'll just have to keep an eye out for another machine! :/
Any suggestions, need something to sew heavy fabrics and leather as well as embroider lettering and borders. :)

Efemera

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2020, 19:24:25 PM »
Don’t think you’ll get both in the same machine. A vintage Singer straight stitch will stitch through almost anything. For embroidery there’s Janome, Brother, Pfaff to name a few.

Lilian

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2020, 19:29:09 PM »
Hello @palmyday hope you find what you're looking for  :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

Catllar

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2020, 20:03:20 PM »
Hi and welcome to the group.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

fajita

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2020, 20:58:18 PM »
Welcome @palmyday  :flower: :drink:

palmyday

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2020, 20:59:19 PM »
Don’t think you’ll get both in the same machine. A vintage Singer straight stitch will stitch through almost anything. For embroidery there’s Janome, Brother, Pfaff to name a few.

Thanks for your reply, I can't really justify having 2 machines so I guess I'll have to find a compromise! :/

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2020, 22:19:02 PM »
An old machine and a separate embroidery machine may work out cheaper than a combined one. 
And could be useful. 

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2020, 01:00:41 AM »
The old Singer straight stitchers make an excellent stitch and can sew through really tough stuff, but that's all.  Much as I love my vintage machines I wouldn't want to be without one that will do zig-zag and other utility stitches.  Nor would I want to be without my overlocker which IMO is essential for sewing stretchy fabrics.

Different machines are designed to do different tasks.  Although (highish end) domestic machines will do a lot nowadays, no machine will do everything.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

datcat23

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2020, 22:19:59 PM »
I understand the wish to only have one machine, but please note, the more complex the functions, the more likely it is, that the machine will only do some of the functions well.  I am very strongly opposed to combination machines (previous shockingly bad experience with a crappy singer sewing/embroidery machine), as I feel that in order to get the complexity into one machine, there has to be compromises. 

I will second previous suggestions.  A good quality metal body machine for the heavy duty stuff, and an entry level embroidery machine for the pretty stuff. 
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  6m | Items made:  2  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m