The Sewing Place

Misshapen Fat Quarters

Butterfly

Misshapen Fat Quarters
« on: October 10, 2020, 15:32:51 PM »
Whenever I buy material I always wash it to check if the colour will run. However, when it comes to cutting my fat quarters after I have I washed and ironed them, they are always misshapen. Is there any way to prevent this?
Creativity is contagious, pass it on

BrendaP

Re: Misshapen Fat Quarters
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 15:57:03 PM »
Are they mishapen because they were not cut on grain? or because you have pushed them out of shape by irining in one direction?
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Butterfly

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2020, 19:08:12 PM »
No I don't think it's the grain that's the problem. When I think about the way I iron  :thinking:, it's likely to be me that's the problem as I do tend to iron in one direction.
Creativity is contagious, pass it on

Deafoldbat

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2020, 20:10:54 PM »
@Butterfly  As fabric is rolled onto the bolt, folded, it gets pulled out of shape. When you wash it all the fibres relax to where they 'ought' to be and you end up with a piece that isn't as square as it looked when it was cut. However you will be able to find the straight grain and cut properly straight strips. If you use the lengthways grain, parallel to the selvedge you will probably lose less in trimmings than if you straighten the widthways edge before cutting.

Lisalou1965

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 22:29:53 PM »
One of the reasons I prefer to buy yardage and cut to what I want - so often fabric is not cut straight for reasons stated above.
If you see me with a seam ripper, now is not a good time