The Sewing Place

Sherwoods fabrics

Ohsewsimple

Sherwoods fabrics
« on: May 19, 2017, 21:04:03 PM »
Not sure if this is the right place to post this.
Has anyone used these before?   They have some lovely  fabrics.  But, good grief, I have almost lost the will to live trying to navigate it.  Bit pretentious giving fabrics names methinks.  I just want to look for particular types, not work my way through every piece of cotton before I can find a simple lawn or  poplin etc :devil:  are these websites done by people who don't use fabric??? 

Ploshkin

Re: Sherwoods fabrics
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 22:04:19 PM »
I too have looked and liked but found just the same annoyance as you.
There are plenty of other online suppliers so I don't go there any more.
Life's too short for ironing.

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 22:13:37 PM »
The menus and fabric names are certainly unhelpful, but it looks as though the search box works pretty well.  I searched for 'lawn' and got 8 pages which at first glance all appeared to be lawn.

For stretch denim I had to put in 'stretch+denim', which may not be intuitive for most people. 
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Pinkstar

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 12:37:53 PM »
I've used them before, must admit that I hadn't noticed they gave the fabric names, probably because once I'm at the type of fabric I want, I just look at the pictures til I see something I like then I click 'n' read the blurb.  They are pretty quick with their delivery.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 13:36:23 PM »
Nice to know it's not just me.  I will persevere in short bursts when I have time!
The other thing that annoys me about online fabric selling is this habit of twirling it before photographing it!  What the hell is that about?   More arty farty nonsense.  I can't see the pattern!  And that is what I am looking at it for....to see what the fabric looks like.   It can't be to show the drape.  I,ve seen it done with denims and drills.  And they certainly don't drape well.  :devil: :devil:

Acorn

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 15:55:07 PM »
The other thing that annoys me about online fabric selling is this habit of twirling it before photographing it!  What the hell is that about?   More arty farty nonsense.  I can't see the pattern!  And that is what I am looking at it for....to see what the fabric looks like.   It can't be to show the drape.  I,ve seen it done with denims and drills.  And they certainly don't drape well.  :devil: :devil:
Yes!  That twisty thing.  If they've got to do it, let them do it as an alternative picture so that the one you see first is the actual design.  A draped picture is much more use if it's draped over a person or mannequin.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.