The Sewing Place

Britannia Coverstitcher

annieeg

Britannia Coverstitcher
« on: October 12, 2020, 14:28:08 PM »
Hi,
Has anyone any knowledge/opinion of this machine?

Acorn

Re: Britannia Coverstitcher
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 14:37:27 PM »
Yes!  I have one.  I haven't used it a great deal, and I have no experience of other coverstitches, but I am very happy with it.  I have had a bit of trouble with one of the needles constantly coming unthreaded, but I did figure out why (and can't for the life of me remember now!)

(I sat on the settee admiring the beautiful job I'd made of the hem of my t-shirt a few days ago, then realised that I hadn't actually made that t-shirt myself...)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

annieeg

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 14:41:44 PM »
 :laughing: :laughing:

sleepingwolf

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 14:49:57 PM »
I have one as well.  I am very happy with it.  It takes a bit of practice to get the stitch right for every type of fabric and I make more test samples than I do with my sewing machines or overlocker but it does make a nice finish especially on knits.
I have tried a couple of other brands at shows and could see little difference in the end results although as usual a top end machines are smoother and more polished to use than the cheaper models.  I could only just afford the Britannia and all the others were well out of my price range.

annieeg

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 15:40:08 PM »
There is a brand new boxed one on FB and I'm thinking of taking the plunge.  I just sold my Funlock (two needles and this one is 3 needles/4 cones so is more versatile).
Shall I, shan't I ???

annieeg

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2020, 15:54:23 PM »
There is a brand new boxed one on FB and I'm thinking of taking the plunge.  I just sold my Funlock (two needles and this one is 3 needles/4 cones so is more versatile).
Shall I, shan't I ???

I shan't ..... :angel:

annieeg

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2020, 11:20:28 AM »
I think it was @Sewbusy who posted about buying the set of attachments for the Britannia coverstitcher, and I wondered if she - or any other TSP forum member - has any feedback on whether the attachments work well?

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2020, 13:54:37 PM »
I got the attachment set because you can't buy them separately and usually get a good deal if you buy them with the machine.

The only one I've used is the see-through foot (I really haven't explored my Coverstitcher properly) but I wouldn't be without it - I don't understand how it's possible to do a neat hem without a see-through foot.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.