The Sewing Place

What to do with the quilts

Lisalou1965

What to do with the quilts
« on: October 12, 2020, 22:28:17 PM »
Interesting topic (well, I think it is) which comes up as a result of a couple of answers on other threads...what do you do with your quilts when you finish them? Admittedly, I haven't made that many - haven't counted either - maybe 15 or so? Some crib, some larger, some lap quilts. I have only just got around to making a lap quilt for me, to stay with me. I know some people just put them away and go on to the next one, others just give em away as fast as they make them.Some for charity, some as gifts. What do you ladies do with yours?

Just wondering

Lx
If you see me with a seam ripper, now is not a good time

fajita

Re: What to do with the quilts
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 00:11:14 AM »
Mostly I make for specific people as gifts. I have four lap/single quilts around the house because I like them. I have one in the cupboard, never know when you’re going to need one, eh

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 00:30:08 AM »
We use 'em!   :laughing: I thought I was going to be an Art Quilter but turned out I like to make utility quilts. One of them goes camping and to the beach, though not lately. We sleep under them. I make throws, no actual bed sized ones yet, so I might have two or three piled on me. Very cozy.

As I mentioned earlier today elsewhere my plan is to fill several shelves in an antique oak armoire with quilts. At that point I plan on being done quilting.  Right now it's mostly fabric and some quilt tops.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Lisalou1965

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 06:39:32 AM »
We use 'em!   :laughing: I thought I was going to be an Art Quilter but turned out I like to make utility quilts. One of them goes camping and to the beach, though not lately. We sleep under them. I make throws, no actual bed sized ones yet, so I might have two or three piled on me. Very cozy.

As I mentioned earlier today elsewhere my plan is to fill several shelves in an antique oak armoire with quilts. At that point I plan on being done quilting.  Right now it's mostly fabric and some quilt tops.
It was actually you speaking about your oak armoire which you intend to fill that got me thinking about this. I love the idea of quilts being used. I can fully appreciate art quilts, but I cannot see myself making one.
If you see me with a seam ripper, now is not a good time

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2020, 08:23:11 AM »
I don't make many quilts because I like to make them for a reason.  I don't  want to put them in a cupboard.  I don't have children / grandchildren but have palmed  off one each on a niece and nephew.  I like doing the  TSP Project Linus quilt because it's a reason to make one and I'm anticipating a couple more when our building is finished and I have some extra rooms and walls.
Life's too short for ironing.

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 08:31:02 AM »
Oh, almost forgot, my one and only double bed size quilt hanging on a rail above the stairwell.

Oh so Humble ... Please do post a pic of this almost forgotten quilt @fajita

Mine are all over ... the lap size ones are on the back of the chairs in the dining room (where I mostly live) and keep out the odd draught that comes through the doors when its cold.

The very first 'coverlet' made when I knew NOTHING and there was no internet ! is on my bed at this vary moment as its the perfect weight for the autumn nights plus a duvet

Theres a 'small'* stack on the footstool in the front room and more in my lovely Billy bookcase. There are quilts covering the hall and landing walls and two boxes of quilts under the bed in Pearliepops bedroom which also boasts the Village on the wall behind the bed.

@which according to NASA can be seen from space!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Acorn

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2020, 08:34:32 AM »
There's one each on our bed and the guestroom bed.  Two are hanging over the banister on the landing (a galleried landing is a wonderful thing!)  A couple are folded up on top of wardrobes.  One is folded up in the corner of the sitting room for emergency use.

We are going to have new wardrobes on a full wall in our bedroom next year (I hope) and I think a couple of shelves specifically for quilts would be nice.  Not as nice as RS's antique armoire, but the same principle.  It would be nice to be able to open the door and gloat over them.

I don't keep them in the airing cupboard because I don't think that the heat does a folded quilt any favours.  I don't hang them on walls because, again like RS, I like to use them.  In any case we have a lot of pictures and there isn't any wall space available.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2020, 08:39:22 AM »
I should elaborate I guess. I'm not making quilts to keep in a cupboard. I like seasonal quilts and would like several so I can rotate them as I see fit. Once the designated shelves are full I imagine I'll have enough.

I've seen photos in quilting or decor magazines and online where there is a cupboard with the door open with shelves stacked full of folded quilts. I can't properly describe the way my heart sings when I see them. One of my inspiration photos is the cover of a quilting magazine. All of the Christmas quilts featured inside are stacked up. Its gorgeous to me.

Acorn

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2020, 08:45:52 AM »
Absolutely!  For me it's the obvious next step to loving having my fabrics neatly folded where I can see them in my sewing room.  Inspiration and a feast for the eyes, and when it's actual quilts, also a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment.   :loveit:

When (if!) my parents downsize I will probably receive a large, (very) antique chest, which should be an ideal place to store them, but I wouldn't be able to open it and gaze on them in the same way.

Efemera

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2020, 08:50:21 AM »
I say ‘shoved in a cupboard’ but they’re not. One in the lounge that’s used daily. The new string quilt will get used in the lounge too. @Deafoldbat lovely quilts are in the kitchen/ diner where I see them all the time along with three other small quilts folded over the backs of the chairs. One over the banister, four or five in the spare room. Christmas ones are  actually in the cupboard waiting their turn. Some are made for gifts. The new Delilah will go on the bed in DD’s room ( spare room)

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2020, 09:14:12 AM »
@Acorn the armoire ain't all that grand. It's really elaborate farm style and was from the likes of IKEA from 100 years ago. The label is still there. It shipped flat packed and was bolted together by the consumer. The panels on the front and side are plywood.  ;) Oak but still plywood. Much to my jealousy my Mom gave it to my brother. I got it when his wife decided to redecorate. I love the old thing. It makes a great sewing storage cupboard, hidden in plain sight.

Stacks of folded quilts are lovely, the more so when you made them yourself.  :hug:

fajita

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2020, 09:22:46 AM »
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  @Iminei my hanging quilt has been on this site a couple of times. It’s the 1718.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 09:24:31 AM by fajita »

Iminei

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2020, 09:25:50 AM »
I know ... Oh! This old thing !!!1  :P
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Acorn

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2020, 09:32:56 AM »
@fajita I have to say that one really does need to be displayed in all its glory!   :loveit:

Efemera

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2020, 10:22:09 AM »
@fajita  beautiful, how did you quilt it?