The Sewing Place

What to do with the quilts

Lilian

Re: What to do with the quilts
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2020, 12:42:48 PM »
@fajita that is some quilt and definitely should be kept in the family.  I love it!  :)
Willing but not always able :)

fajita

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2020, 14:43:31 PM »
@fajita  beautiful, how did you quilt it?

@Efemera I just did in the ditch around the blocks and shapes. Very simple.

Lowena

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2020, 18:01:33 PM »
Mine are folded and piled on shelves in the box / storage room.
My husband hates things " lying about" so they're not on sofas or chairs and certainly would never be over the banister of the galleried landing.
I hate wall hangings.....so......they stay on the shelves until they go to the charity shop / bin
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Sheilago

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2020, 18:29:02 PM »
I always make them for a purpose- usually gifts for weddings or new babies. I have one on my bed, an old well worn one over an armchair in a spare room and one for sitting under watching TV. The star quilt we made as a swap a few years ago is on one spare bed and this year’s BOM quilt will be on the other spare bed. I’ve just about run out  of places to use them, so any more I make will need to be gifts.

Lowena

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2020, 19:32:45 PM »
No one I know wants a quilt. I made one each for my granddaughters but they were never even unpacked, let alone used.
I do make for Project Linus
Triumph of hope over experience :D

mudcat

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2020, 20:21:46 PM »
I have a queen sized one on the futon couch but it's functional to protect the futon from the cat and provide some color to the room.  The crazy cat likes to sleep under the quilt though.  Even in the summer.

The other ones are all lap quilts of various sizes for the short winter here.  Also I have pet quilts that are much smaller.  I used to keep them outside the closed bedroom door for the little Westie to lay on as he liked to be as close as possible to us. There's also one folded up on the bottom shelf in the closet in the back room where the cat sometimes hides out when the cleaners are here.  But now with only one cat I don't even know what to do with them.  Possibly I can donate to an animal shelter.

I have one lap sized quilt draped over the portables evaporative cooler stored in the back room. Much more attractive.

Still most of them are in the back closet since we have little use for them now.  Maybe in December.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 20:23:51 PM by mudcat »

Lisalou1965

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2020, 21:09:01 PM »
No one I know wants a quilt. I made one each for my granddaughters but they were never even unpacked, let alone used.
I do make for Project Linus

Aw Lowena, that is so sad. I cannot imagine a more beautiful gift than one that you have made for that person. Your quilts are so pretty,  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Lx
If you see me with a seam ripper, now is not a good time

Bjay

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2020, 21:36:01 PM »
Well I have rejoiced at @fajita  magnificentquilt and felt oh so sad at Lowena's tale.

I have made very few and always given to someons as part of a plan.
My GC's use them for dens, sitting on, cuddling into and if a party they go in the barn and cover the straw bales..my daughter has one, the first I ever made, and I would love to make her one now I know so much more  but she has refused ome
My son had a big corner sofa and I made a massive one for that. again used every day.
I have one as a throw on the settee that is a bit worn on the edges - sitting on it now
I have made a large cot siz quilt for daughters friends baby.
I have a rainbow one planned for my great neice,  one nearly finished one for my OH's sofa. Strangely I don't have one on our bed. The size it would need to be I find quite daunting (king size bed)though I would love to make one
AS for the BOM one I had plans to put it on a chair in son's bedroom when he moved out except he's not moved out :(
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 08:51:07 AM by Iminei »
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

wrenkins

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2020, 08:34:45 AM »
I have made one for each of the beds except my own (note to self...). This year's BOM will hang in the spare room as it matches the two I've made for there.
Him indoors thinks quilts are old fashioned so he can jazz on my hump and I'm in the throes of making one each for two of his boys. I'm hoping they're not quite as thick as their dad.  ><
I'll make a nice one for my niece (I made her a little one) possibly soon, as she and her current beau seem quite smitten!!!!  :loveit:  ;)
The sofas and chairs need some and PL is on the back burner but almost complete.
Changing out the seasons is a brilliant idea and my 'still in kit form' Christmas one may be made reversible.
All this talk of armoires and displays has made me think... 0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Efemera

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2020, 09:37:46 AM »
I love seeing them around the house.. all that colour and pattern makes me happy.

Celia

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2020, 10:02:15 AM »
I have loved reading this thread, it makes me feel better about some of the things I make that I just love to look at, I have made a collection of Latvian and Norwegian style mittens which I am sure I will never wear but I love them, I do give some away sometimes but still have too many and am still knitting.

At the moment I am really learning to weave in lots of different ways but don’t ask me what I will do with hundreds of scarves.

Quilting is still on my radar but I seem to have a problem actually finishing anything

maliw

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2020, 11:54:46 AM »
Mine are made as presents, 3 of the grandkids have them and there is one still to be made - fabric at the ready and some for friends who've had babies. Others have been given away - Project Linus, a raffle prize etc and those I've kept are in a blanket box
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Deafoldbat

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2020, 19:09:44 PM »
Well, you know what I've done with quite a few of my quilts!

I make quite a lot of PL type quilts. I get the therapy, and it doesn't go in the cupboard. I make a gift quilt from time to time if I think the person will like it and use it. I make quilts because I want to, and now there is room in the cupboard again I shall probably make one before long that will start a new pile. I have a couple of quilts on the chairs downstairs for decoration and for chilly evenings. I have one on the bed. The DSs have had quilts in the past though none in use at the moment - packed away somewhere, I must find them and give them an airing at least, and possibly threaten to rehome them if they're no longer wanted...

Like books, quilts do furnish a room.

wrenkins

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2020, 08:03:14 AM »
I have made a collection of Latvian and Norwegian style mittens which I am sure I will never wear but I love them, I do give some away sometimes but still have too many and am still knitting.

Mitten bunting! :loveit:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Gernella

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2020, 09:53:48 AM »
As a matter of  interest, if you sell these quilts how much can you expect for them given all the hours that have been spent on them.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included