The Sewing Place

Babylock evolve

annieeg

Babylock evolve
« on: October 13, 2020, 14:14:59 PM »
Does anyone know if the accessioies (e.g. binding foot, hemming guide) can be used on both the coverstitch and overlocker set up of the evolve?

How complicated is it to switch from the overlocker setup to the cover stitch setup?

Helen M

Re: Babylock evolve
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 14:23:28 PM »
Not sure about the accessories @annieeg but I'm not sure I'd use a hemming guide on my overlocker.

I'd never choose a combined machine, any brand, unless it was the very last option! Do you have separate machines at the moment? I don't use my coverstitch half as much as my overlocker but when I do I'd hate to have to start changing all the settings, even on my faithful mechanical overlocker.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

annieeg

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 14:29:19 PM »
Thanks @Helen M .  I have just sold my coverstitch and am thinking to buy another one (see my post about the juki 1500 on here). 
It's just that I  feel guilty about spending on a separate machine as the evolve does have the option to convert to coverstitch.
But perhaps the convenience is worth paying for.  :thinking:

Ellabella

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 14:57:25 PM »
I have an Evolve and didn’t find changing over too bad but frustrating when I really wanted to do a small bit of coverstitch before I had finished all the overlocking.

I succumbed to an Imagine OL when I spotted one at a really good price and kept the Evolve as a coverstitch .

The I succumbed to Efemera’s BLCS as I wanted to use the knit binders I had which I couldn’t fit on the Evolve.

So now the Evolve is boxed up and in storage as a backup for either (and I’m broke, but I don’t care 0_0)

Helen M

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2020, 16:47:33 PM »
Thanks @Helen M .  It's just that I  feel guilty about spending on a separate machine as the evolve does have the option to convert to coverstitch.
But perhaps the convenience is worth paying for.  :thinking:

I'd say yes it is, if you can afford it. It's your hobby and having the tools that you can just 'go to' when you need to my mind the best way to be.

My overlocker is 31 years old.... but I still love it and it owes me nothing. I would hate to be without one that is as simple to thread and use so I bought a Brother 2104D 2 years ago as I really thought my ancient Brother was on the blink. Turned out it's fine most of the time but I don't care for the 'feel' of the new one as much, not so much metal. I used it last week on a difficult fabric which was marginally less so on that machine. I'd hate to be without one for hems alone (when you're 5'1" nearly everything you buy is too long!) so the £220 I paid was an insurance policy as I'm sure my 730D won't last forever. My Janome coverstitch is about 7 years old and again for what I use it for is fine but I wonder about the Babylock standalones sometimes!

If you like your current overlocker I'd say stick with it and get a separate coverstitch.

Just my thoughts!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 17:43:18 PM »
I chose to have separate machines and glad I did.  I go from one to the other during garment construction so one machine just wouldn’t work for me.