The Sewing Place

Has anyone any views on the Brother FS210 or FS130QC machines?

MarianL

Has anyone any views on the Brother FS210 or FS130QC machines?
« on: October 13, 2020, 14:59:01 PM »
Hi,

I'm looking to get a new sewing machine, but must admit I am finding it mind boggling  :scream:

I'm starting to dabble again and got my Necchi Lydia3 machine working after many years of non-use.  I would really like to get a more modern machine.  I'm looking to do a bit of everything, dressmaking, home furnishings, and would love to have a go at quilting (no idea where to begin) so need a machine that will enable me to have a go at as many things as possible.  First thing I made once I got the Necchi working was facemasks for myself and my family.  Also some pretty tooth fairy cushions (my granddaughter has her first wobbly tooth). 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
MarianL

Efemera

Re: Has anyone any views on the Brother FS210 or FS130QC machines?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 16:09:58 PM »
I think you’ll find folks like the brand they have.. I know nothing of Brother machines, I’ve always had Pfaff machines, I’m just about to buy my 4th. I love the IDT( even feed, no need for a walking foot ) Don’t be seduced by all the decorative stitches, in my experience they never get used. You need a zig zag and a good buttonhole.

wrenkins

Re: Has anyone any views on the Brother FS210 or FS130QC machines?
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 20:31:28 PM »
I have the FS130QC and if it was my first machine I'd think it was great. It's not. It struggles with multiple layers of quilting fabric and would probably keel over at the thought of anything heavier. The stitch length is inconsistent and the decorative stitches are very hit and miss. My old 70s Singer beats it into a cocked hat as far as banging through jobs. If I ever upgrade it will likely be to a Pfaff or a Janome because of the comments I've seen on the forum.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!