The Sewing Place

Toe Up Socks - Very Pink Knits

Ploshkin

Re: Toe Up Socks - Very Pink Knits
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2020, 07:12:17 AM »
On the other hand I can judge the foot length better on cuff down

I'm glad you said that @BrendaP   I've had a few tries at toe up having read that its easier to get the foot length right as you can try it on you knit, but I always seem to get the foot a bit big.  I seem to get a much better fit if I finish at the toe so have ditched the toe up experiments.
All this talk of socks makes me want to knit some but I need to finish my sweater.
Life's too short for ironing.

BrendaP

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2020, 09:59:46 AM »
@Ploshkin I also find the provisional cast on for a toe up more difficult than the grafting at the end of a cuff down (and star toe eliminates the need to graft).
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ann

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2020, 20:50:14 PM »
Great looking socks, @b15erk. It is nice to have something to use up the yarn in the stash.

I have knit socks both toe up and cuff down. I found a pattern for cuff down that I really liked for DGS as I could knit them from sock yarn on a slightly larger needles as he is a diabetic. I did a lot of ribbing on them so they stayed up but they were comfortable and warm. I hope to knit him socks over Christmas if I have enough high quality wool. It has to have merino wool in it and a touch of silk. I spoiled him.

A friend of ours has knit her husband socks for 2 years now and the last ones she made were with the left over yarns from all the socks she has knit for him. She learned watching YouTube videos and really enjoys knitting them. It gives her something to do during their long winters.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

b15erk

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2020, 09:50:46 AM »
@Ann , yes, I'm really trying to make a dent in the stash.  I have another pair on the go, and they are starting to look 'proper' - you know, no holes at the heels.  :S

I'm using 4 ply on this pair, so doing the mens size as they'll probably come up smaller.  This yarn has already been knitted up (the failed poncho), so I'm hoping I won't see this yarn again!

@BrendaP , I struggled with the cast on for toe up until I tried this pattern, which uses a crochet starter, and the German Short Rows for heels and toes were a game changer.  It's so easy - it must be if I can manage it!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ann

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2020, 10:27:28 AM »
@b15erk, the no holes in the heels is a big one. I knit the gusset heel and when I pick up stitches I have one hole to deal with. Good luck with getting no holes.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres