The Sewing Place

Toe Up Socks - Very Pink Knits

b15erk

Toe Up Socks - Very Pink Knits
« on: October 14, 2020, 10:53:52 AM »
During the lockdown I realised what an awful lot of yarn I had accumulated, not  massive quantities of each type or colour, but yarn I've bought for children's stuff, usually when I've seen it on offer.  Determined to knit it up, I thought that socks would be a very good way of using it.  The stumbling block was, that I had never managed to knit a wearable sock.

Doing my research, I found a really good starter pattern for me, and it has worked out beautifully, and I may even branch out into something more ambitious - a patterned pair would be nice!  :thumbsup:

The pattern I chose was from Very Pink Knits, and is the Toe Up Socks Using German Short Rows.  I didn't use the Magic Loop as I just don't 'get it', instead, I bought several pairs of KnitPro Basix Dpns.  I chose these as they weren't the slippy type.

The pattern is printed in several sizes for Men, Women and Children, and there are links to Stacey's tutorials for all the techniques.

I'm on my 5th sock now, and intend to knit more and give them as Christmas presents - they are knit in Double knitting yarn, so make excellent bed socks. the sock in the picture is my very first pair, so is far from perfect!

With any luck, I will make a dent in my yarn stash by Christmas!

VeryPinkKnitsSocks

Jessie

« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 11:03:27 AM by b15erk »
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Kenora

Re: Toe Up Socks - Very Pink Knits
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 10:58:42 AM »
Thanks for this Jessie. I'll check out your link when I get time. I'm really looking forward to having a go. :) Your socks look great (at least they are easily identifiable as socks - my first try wasn't!)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Missie

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 11:50:21 AM »
Hmm, I'm just wondering what is "far from perfect" about them.  They look fab and an excellent idea for christmas gifts.

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 12:10:45 PM »
They look pretty good - the only reason they are bedsocks and not everyday wearing will be because they are DK and not 4 ply.   :loveit:

I like Very Pink Knits videos.  She doesn't faff around too much and her knitting style is very similar to mine.  I don't push the yarn around the needle with the back my forefinger; I hook the yarn with a finger going over the yarn to take it around the needle.  I have so much more control that way and can use forefinger or middle finger so the style adapts well to Fair Isle.

I haven't done much sock knitting recently because I have a drawer full of hand knits, but from experience I can tell you that really the basic styles with stocking stitch and rib fit best, all the fancy patterns look good in a photo but don't stretch and fit as well.  My personal preference (for my foot shape)  is top down with flap and gusset.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 12:19:56 PM »
They look really good.  Are they cotton?

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2020, 12:27:19 PM »
@Ohsewsimple , it's just some cheap acrylic yarn I've had for years, bought originally for knitting toys.  I can't wear wool as it itches me to death, but  lately I've been using cotton, and it's lovely to knit with.

@BrendaP , there are things that I will never be able to do well in knitting, fairisle and magic loop being just two!  My knitting style is dictated by my increasingly arthritic hands!  :S

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2020, 18:44:20 PM »
Welcome back Jessie,t hey look good.  I use magic loop a lot because I like to knit without seams as far as possible but I really can't get on with it for socks and always use dpns.
I will have a look at your pattern, I've not had any success with toe up patterns and keep reverting back to the free top down pattern that I got with the first ball of sock yarn I bought.  Perhaps I should just stick with that.
Life's too short for ironing.

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2020, 19:56:51 PM »
keep reverting back to the free top down pattern that I got with the first ball of sock yarn I bought.  Perhaps I should just stick with that.

@Ploshkin  Is that the pattern that comes with Opal yarn?  It is good and straightforward with detailed instructions, but with additional experience I realise that the tension is a bit loose and that the pair of socks I made from that pattern, which I still wear but often in bed, are on the loose side.  A size smaller needle and ribbing rather than stocking stitch  would have made them fit me better. 

I usually get the correct tension with the recommended yarn and needles (or I always used to, some of the newer indi patterns found on the internet are a bit more random).  My go-to combination for socks to fit my very average 5-5.5 UK feet is 64 sts on 2.25mm needles.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

Ploshkin

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2020, 22:10:48 PM »
@BrendaP  i think it was King Cole yarn.   I could also possibly use a size smaller needle though I think its more the fact that you haven't got the same amount of stretch that you get in bought socks so they tend to feel a bit looser.
Life's too short for ironing.

mudcat

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2020, 17:13:13 PM »
Wow those socks are amazing to me.  I can't imagine doing that.     :thumbsup:

My knitting career was very shot lived.  The needles hurt my hands/wrists too much. 

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2020, 11:33:35 AM »
Two more pairs of socks now finished, and I'm pleased with both of them.  This pattern is so easy, I can knit and watch telly!

I even managed to sort of match the colours on the last pair!  (Still waiting to be finished off)

Jessie

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2020, 13:54:34 PM »
Right.......I am no knitter although I can knit I’m not great and as my mum had a knitting machine for years I had no need to really bother.  :)   Soooooo, showing my ignorance here, what the heck does 'toe up socks' mean please?   Does it mean they are knitted from the toe upwards?   And why is that a thing?   Is it unusual?  See told you I’m not really a knitter ;)

b15erk

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2020, 14:06:48 PM »
@Ohsewsimple yup, all it means is that they are knitted from the toe up.  For me, this means that I can do them as long, or as short as I want.  I have lots of small quantities of yarn from various projects, either abandonned or never started, and I thought these would be perfect for using them up.

Also, these particular socks need very little finishing off, simply fastening off the beginning and end yarn.  I'm not much of a knitter, so I don't know if this applies to all socks.

Great for warm toes in bed!

Jessie

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2020, 14:16:20 PM »
Ahhh. Thanks @b15erk.  Socks always look complicated. 
I keep thinking I must make myself a hat for winter for going on walks although I don’t like wearing them particularly.   After all we don’t really do anything else :(.  Thought I might crochet one but I shall see. 

BrendaP

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2020, 00:10:48 AM »
Socks are either knitted from the toe up to the cuff or from the cuff down to the toe. 

If you search hard enough through the gazillions of sock patterns on Ravelry you'll find a very occasional one worked sideways with a seam or started at the heel and worked in both directions, but experience has taught me that the basic patterns, especially if it's mostly ribbing, fit best.

Toe up is good if you are short of yarn as the length of the cuff isn't too important but foot length is.  On the other hand I can judge the foot length better on cuff down and if I do get it wrong it's only the toe to be undone and reworked.