The Sewing Place

ISO a top down Poncho Pattern

b15erk

ISO a top down Poncho Pattern
« on: October 16, 2020, 10:02:42 AM »
I'm looking for small knitting projects to use up my large yarn stash.  I have lots of yarn, but great quantities of matching colour/type.

I've already mastered knitting simple socks, but as the evenings are getting cooler, I'm finding that I need to cover the tops of my arms while I sit knitting.  It's still to warm for a full gown.

Upshot is, I've found a lovely pattern which appears to be available on a free website, but I've been unable to download it.  I've found other patterns that I like, but they are knit bottom up.  The beauty of top down if you are using up small quantities of yarn, is that it doesn't matter too much if you are a little short of yarn.

If any has this pattern, or something very similar, would you consider selling?

Fingers crossed.

Jessie

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ploshkin

Re: ISO a top down Poncho Pattern
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 10:06:31 AM »
A lot of Drops patterns are top down and they do a lot of poncho / shawl type things.
Is the one in the picture the one you can't download?
Life's too short for ironing.

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 10:11:45 AM »
@Ploshkin , yes it is.  I can get onto the free page, but then I can't download the pattern, it may have been withdrawn I suppose.  It looks such a nice openwork pattern, not too warm.

I have a similar one, but it's bottom up, and I prefer to work top down.

Drops do have quite a few, but I came a cropper last year with one of their patterns...

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 10:16:42 AM »
@Ploshkin , I've just tried again, and the pattern is adverised as Free, through In the Loop knitting.  The link took me to Creative Knitting magazine, and the message that 'the page or item is not available'.

Hmph  :headbang:

Jessie

StitchinTime

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2020, 10:17:07 AM »
Can you post the link to the page? It might be possible to find an earlier version of it (and the PDF) on the Internet Archive site.

StitchinTime

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2020, 10:24:08 AM »
I've found a PDF download of it for $4.99 and reviews are available on Ravelry.
https://www.e-patternscentral.com/detail.html?prod_id=6193
https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/lacy-waves-poncho

I'll see if I can track down the Creative Knitting magazine on the Internet Archive.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 10:26:45 AM by StitchinTime »

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2020, 10:32:44 AM »
@StitchinTime , Now how did you do that?  :thumbsup:

At least I know I can buy a copy if the free one proves to be unavailable.

Thank you so much!

Jessie

StitchinTime

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2020, 10:58:54 AM »
I've found the Creative Knitting magazine on the Internet Archive. Unfortunately only the Editor's introductions seem to have been archived for 2006 and links to sections of the magazine are not showing.

I've also found the link to pattern page, but when I try that in the Internet Archive it says that the page has been excluded from the archive.

b15erk

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2020, 11:10:57 AM »
@StitchinTime , thank you so much.

I've downloaded the pattern, which cost just £4.02, and I'll get around to knitting it at some point.

I thought it hadn't finished loading properly, but, no, there's a lovely first page large colour photo giving details of materials.  The main pattern, covers probably a third of an A4 sheet!  :thumbsup:

It looks a very simple pattern, so thank you once again!  :dance:

Jessie

LeilaMay

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2020, 11:11:35 AM »
Are you a member on Ravelry? It's free to join. There's a huge library of patterns to search there, and you can specify "free to download" as one of the search parameters. It really is a super helpful place.

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2020, 11:14:44 AM »
@LeilaMay , yes I am, and there are some lovely patterns available.  This one struck a chord though, because it was very light and lacey (I didn't want anything too warm), and it's knitted top down.

I've just downloaded it, and it looks so easy, that I'm tempted to go rooting for some suitable yarn straight away!

Jessie

StitchinTime

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2020, 11:28:27 AM »
Glad to have been of use, @b15erk. I seem to remember knitting a jumper in a similar pattern many years ago and it grew very quickly as I seemed to be knitting mainly holes.

Acorn

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2020, 12:39:03 PM »
Is this it?
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

b15erk

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2020, 11:29:49 AM »
@Acorn , yes that's it!!  I have paid for it though  :S - jumped the gun didn't I?

Anyway, to catch up, I started to knit this straight away in a 4ply I had.  Not so fond of knitting on the larger needles, but needs must...

Upshot is, when I went upstairs for another ball of yarn, it wasn't there - the knitting fairies must have been in.  So, I thought I'd finish it off and see how it looked.

For a start it's too short, note to self, check you have more than 100g of yarn before you start this.

Then, it seems all sort of bunched up and lumpy at the top, and the yoke part is too short.  This will be because I used 4ply with smaller needles...

So, I'll be re-purposing this for socks, and starting another.  :headbang:

Jessie

Ploshkin

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2020, 11:35:57 AM »
It may not have worked out Jessie but it's lovely knitting.
Life's too short for ironing.