The Sewing Place

Prima Coatigan pattern for £1.99 (UK only)

SewRuthieSews

Prima Coatigan pattern for £1.99 (UK only)
« on: October 17, 2020, 13:55:13 PM »
Prima magazine have made their latest pattern available online for £1.99

Prima Coatigan Nov 2020

Hopefully they'll do this every month from now on.

Efemera

Re: Prima Coatigan pattern for £1.99 (UK only)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 16:36:31 PM »
Those shoulders look very dropped, I look terrible with no defined shoulders. Loved their Easy Dress.

UttaRetch

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 18:57:01 PM »

What dreadful styling.  The head of the model looks as if it has been photoshopped from elsewhere.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 09:03:47 AM »
@SewRuthieSews

Are Prima patterns easy to follow for beginners? I don’t have a lot of experience with patterns but I fancy trying this one.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 09:58:08 AM »
@WildAtlanticWay
I use the Prima patterns quite a lot because they are easy, and therefore quick.
The instructions are included on the pattern sheet, and do have little pictures of each step.
They seem to use newspaper type paper. The cardigan pattern is two sheets which are double sided, so you do need to trace or photocopy at least one piece. There's a layout diagram and a little line drawing.

I'd be happy to sew along with you if you wanted to give this a go.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 12:15:10 PM »
Oo thank you. I’d like that.  :)

I now need to figure out buying suitable fabric.
The pictures look like a knitted cardi but as I’m going to have to buy it online, what types of fabric names shall I use when searching online? I’ve bought Ponte Roma before. Is this suitable or would you choose something else?

So Chic

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2020, 12:35:41 PM »
I like the look of this but I seem to remember the last pattern I made from Prima was very generously sized.

@WildAtlanticWay - I've bought ponte roma from Cloth Sport and Dragonfly Fabrics, neither of them are the cheapest but the fabric is lovely.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2020, 15:53:06 PM »
The pattern says, Fabric suggestions - Jersey fabrics, such as wool jersey, cotton jersey, cotton mix jersey, acrylic jersey.

I think it would be ok to use any knit, but the weight and fabrication will impact the drape and edge finishing of the final garment.

I have a giant fabric stash so could go several different ways with it, depending on how cosy or draped I wanted to have the finished garment.
In a boiled wool (or even a woven wool) it would be more like a coat, and sized down in a slinky/sparkly knit it could be a dressy coverup for indoors (Christmas Skype chats?). In a sweater knit I'd have to be careful of the edge finishing, but they mention that and suggest using Bias binding to finish hems if using chunky or loosely knitted jersey.

I have used ponte knit for cardigans and its quite nice but seems better in a draped style rather than a boxy style

Above is Wendy Ward's Kinder

Above is Style Arc Nina

Lilian

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2020, 19:45:36 PM »
I am waiting for my November issue of Prima and this pattern looks good.  I have some jersey fabric that I think would work for this.  I will giving it a go.  :)
Willing but not always able :)

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2020, 22:30:02 PM »
Great @Lilian we can have a little sew along together :-)

wrenkins

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2020, 08:17:34 AM »
Oh goody. I do like a sewalong.  :loveit:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

SewRuthieSews

So Chic

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2020, 11:12:45 AM »
I'm waiting for the pattern to arrive and then will have to find some fabric so might be a bit behind the rest of you.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Lilian

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2020, 11:44:49 AM »
I realise my magazine and pattern came weeks ago. My head is like a sieve lately  :facepalm:  Now, I have looked at the jersey fabric and there are two possibilities, one is extremely stretchy the other is a bit firmer but quite lightweight.  I will have to make a decision.  :thinking:
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 12:26:15 PM by Lilian »
Willing but not always able :)

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2020, 09:18:15 AM »
According to the pattern the fabric amounts are as follows:

Short cardigan C (striped in the picture) 2 m of 130cm wide jersey fabric.
Mid-length cardigan B (looks sort of knee length) 2.2 m of 130cm wide jersey fabric.
Long length Cardigan A 2.7 m of 130cm wide fabric

Additionally you need
60cm of tape to stop the shoulder stretching out (I often use ribbon instead).
30cm of bias binding to cover the neck seam so it looks nice.
More bias binding if you want to use it on your hems and edges  - 4.1m for short, 4.5 for mid and 5m for long