The Sewing Place

November Cardigan Sewalong

SewRuthieSews

November Cardigan Sewalong
« on: October 19, 2020, 10:29:42 AM »
Please sew along if you would like to make a cardigan.

A number of us will be using the Coatigan/Cardigan pattern from the November 2020 Prima Magazine.
If you are in the UK it is available to buy from their website for £1.99.

If you want to use another pattern you are also welcome to join us.

SewRuthieSews

Re: November Cardigan Sewalong
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 10:32:04 AM »
This is the pattern we are using.
Prima Coatigan Nov 2020

It is available in UK 10-20.

Kenora

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 11:09:13 AM »
Oh what a shame! I just finished my Sinclair Patterns "Harper" cardigan yesterday evening. Made it in the cable knit jersey that seems to be everywhere at the moment. :) I would've loved to have joined in with the sew-a-long.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 11:18:20 AM »
Oh what a shame! I just finished my Sinclair Patterns "Harper" cardigan yesterday evening. Made it in the cable knit jersey that seems to be everywhere at the moment. :) I would've loved to have joined in with the sew-a-long.

@Kenora and just who now says you need to stop at one?   :devil:  :laughing:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 14:41:14 PM »
Oh what a shame! I just finished my Sinclair Patterns "Harper" cardigan yesterday evening. Made it in the cable knit jersey that seems to be everywhere at the moment. :)

Will you post a picture please? I’d like to see it.
Also, where did you buy your jersey fabric from? I’m trying to find something suitable that won’t cost too much with the additional postage fees.

I saw a cable knit looking throw in Aldi today and I wondered whether that might be worth buying to cut up instead....  :thinking:

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 15:24:21 PM »
You can absolutely cut up a knit throw to make a cardigan, it is easiest if you choose a pattern with a straight front edge so you can use the finished edge of the yardage. You do need to be careful as any cut areas unravel ferociously.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 09:17:57 AM »
Another (less challenging) option for a first try would be fleece. Buy a fleece blanket and cut it up (the furrier ones are messy). Lots available in the shops at the moment.

Kenora

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2020, 13:55:05 PM »
Will you post a picture please? I’d like to see it.
Also, where did you buy your jersey fabric from? I’m trying to find something suitable that won’t cost too much with the additional postage fees.

@WildAtlanticWay - I'll try to take a photo when I get a minute. :)

I bought the cable knit jersey from a lady in Ireland that (I think) @wrenkins recommended for her vlogs on YouTube. She is (was until Covid) a maker of Irish Dancing dresses but obviously that work has dried up, so she's recently opened an online fabric shop. Her name is Andrea and her vlog is at Beyond the Pink Door. Her shop is Pink Door - not to be confused with another US site of the same name!

I was very pleased with the service to the UK, although I did have to pay conversion charges from £ to Euro, but her fabrics are lovely, and I watch all her vlogs. :)

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2020, 15:33:11 PM »

I bought the cable knit jersey from a lady in Ireland that (I think) @wrenkins recommended for her vlogs on YouTube.

Oh how perfect! I can pay in Euro’s and reasonable postage charges as I’m in Ireland too.
You’ve made my day!!!
 :)

Sewingsue

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2020, 16:20:58 PM »
Those cable knit jerseys look interesting.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

sewingj

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2020, 16:56:07 PM »

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2020, 17:43:03 PM »
Ooh they look interesting @sewingj  I’ve seen some somewhere else but not that many! 

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2020, 08:43:00 AM »
I'm not being sucked in to buying any more fabric, even though it is very cool.
I will be exploring my existing resources!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2020, 09:39:16 AM »
I've been watching this cos I'm contemplating a cardi - only contemplating mind you...

I bought some cable fabric last year (or was it two years ago?), no idea where from, but I'm not that keen on it, it was a bit like crimplene.  But some may be nicer than others of course.

Kenora

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2020, 10:59:32 AM »
As with other things, I think cable knit jersey varies in quality. :) Mine is quite heavy but beautifully soft. I've seen some more at Higgs & Higgs that I like so I may be joining in with the sewalong after all. :rolleyes:

Edited to add:

Oh well, that's that then! I spent ages working out whether I could get a cardigan out of 1.5 metres but when I went on the H&H website - all the colours I liked were either out of stock or only had tiny amounts left. :( They have grey but the whole world is grey at the moment - I want something with a little colour in. :)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 12:44:02 PM by Kenora »