The Sewing Place

November Cardigan Sewalong

Goth Gardiner

Re: November Cardigan Sewalong
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2020, 12:53:44 PM »
How much fabric does the longer version use?
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

Lilian

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2020, 13:21:46 PM »
View A (long version) 2.7metres of 130cm wide jersey fabric

View B (Mid length) 2.2m of 130cm wide jersey fabric

View C (short) 2.0m of 130cm wide jersey fabric

:)
Willing but not always able :)

Starryfish

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2020, 13:41:21 PM »
@Kenora , Dragonfly fabrics have lots of colours of cable knit jersey.
https://www.dragonflyfabrics.co.uk/product-category/cable-knit-jersey/

They sell in small units of fabric so you don't have to buy in metres.

A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Kenora

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2020, 13:45:48 PM »
Thanks @Starryfish - but it's not the "ordinary" cable knit jersey I was looking to buy. H&H have/had some lovely Angora Luxe Cable Jersey which looks gorgeous. A bit pricey at £18/m but I had convinced myself I needed a treat!  :) It's all those which are out of stock/low stock, probably because Rachel from "Stitched Up!" showed one on her YouTube vlog last night. That's where I saw it first of all - I should've ordered it then but it was past 11 o'clock and I wasn't sure how much fabric I needed. Can't find anyone else stocking it, which is a pity. Never mind - I might find something else I like if I look hard enough. >:)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

UttaRetch

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2020, 14:00:59 PM »
I've been watching this cos I'm contemplating a cardi - only contemplating mind you...
You and me both, missus.  I have earmarked the Cashermette Fuller cardigan (shortie version), but have not identified any suitable fabrics or the techniques needed to make it.

Kenora

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2020, 17:54:22 PM »
As requested, photos of my Harper cardigan.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
The colour is not true - it is actually a muted teal colour, not blue. I changed the sleeves from set-in to raglan because I find them more comfortable. I also pattern matched the fronts and the neckband, but didn't have enough fabric to match the bottom band or the cuffs. However, it's only for home use so I don't really mind.

Second photo deleted.

It's very warm and snuggly but I'll probably just throw it round my shoulders most of the time. For a free pattern I'm quite pleased with it. :)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 15:39:21 PM by Kenora »

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2020, 09:21:29 AM »
@Kenora that is absolutely beautiful!

For anyone wanting to get fabric for the Prima pattern, according to the pattern the fabric amounts are as follows:

Short cardigan C (striped in the picture) 2 m of 130cm wide jersey fabric.
Mid-length cardigan B (looks sort of knee length) 2.2 m of 130cm wide jersey fabric.
Long length Cardigan A 2.7 m of 130cm wide fabric

Additionally you need
60cm of tape to stop the shoulder stretching out (I often use ribbon instead).
30cm of bias binding to cover the neck seam so it looks nice.
More bias binding if you want to use it on your hems and edges  - 4.1m for short, 4.5 for mid and 5m for long

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2020, 09:23:46 AM »
And the fabric can be more or less anything stretchy?

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2020, 09:40:53 AM »
@Goth Gardiner
Fabric suggestions from the pattern.
Jersey fabrics, such as wool jersey, cotton jersey, cotton mix jersey, acrylic jersey.

Their samples are made from cotton mix jersey fabrics from myfabrics.co.uk

Given the simple style I think it could be made in something with not much stretch, but obviously need to watch the sizing, and the width of the upper arm area. For similar things I have used ponte, fine sweater knits, novelty jacquard knits, sofa throws (both knitted and woven). Also chunky lace, burn out knit can be fun as you'll definitely be wearing it over another layer.
I find the tee shirt weight knits a bit thin for a cardigan, so wear those ones in the summer when I just want a light cover up.

So it depends what you want from your cardigan - then that can lead you to the fabric and sizing you choose.

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2020, 09:51:40 AM »
@Goth Gardiner
Fabric suggestions from the pattern.
Jersey fabrics, such as wool jersey, cotton jersey, cotton mix jersey, acrylic jersey.

Their samples are made from cotton mix jersey fabrics from myfabrics.co.uk

Given the simple style I think it could be made in something with not much stretch, but obviously need to watch the sizing, and the width of the upper arm area. For similar things I have used ponte, fine sweater knits, novelty jacquard knits, sofa throws (both knitted and woven). Also chunky lace, burn out knit can be fun as you'll definitely be wearing it over another layer.
I find the tee shirt weight knits a bit thin for a cardigan, so wear those ones in the summer when I just want a light cover up.

So it depends what you want from your cardigan - then that can lead you to the fabric and sizing you choose.

Thank you!

Kenora

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2020, 10:47:29 AM »
If it's any help, my cable knit was quite thick - there are 3 layers bonded together.  It was fine, except where the bottom of the front neckband meets the lower band. There are so many layers that the whole thing wants to curl outwards. :S I handstitched it in place when it was finished.

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2020, 10:53:49 AM »
If it's any help, my cable knit was quite thick - there are 3 layers bonded together.  It was fine, except where the bottom of the front neckband meets the lower band. There are so many layers that the whole thing wants to curl outwards. :S I handstitched it in place when it was finished.

I was thinking Iof crushed black velvet with a silver print. :laughing:. Not cable knit. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2020, 11:03:21 AM »
All different kinds of fabric can work for a cardigan, just needs a bit of give - I've even made some from woven fabric.
Velvet would be great fun, is it a stretch velvet?

I forgot I've used stretch faux suede fairly successfully too. That worked better if it had some body to it, the very thin one sticks a bit.

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2020, 11:32:52 AM »
GG now gets lost in the internet looking for the perfect stretch faux suede.

Kenora

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2020, 14:40:21 PM »
I was thinking Iof crushed black velvet with a silver print. :laughing:. Not cable knit. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I agree, cable knit is very "granny" and not very flattering, but I am a granny and over 70 so I will wear it. I didn't post the info expecting you to use cable knit - I just thought it might be helpful to know how a thicker knit behaved.