The Sewing Place

November Cardigan Sewalong

Goth Gardiner

Re: November Cardigan Sewalong
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2020, 14:23:38 PM »
I have the pattern, and two lots of fabric; one piece of fabric from stash and the other is the crushed velvet with silver overlay.

Neither of which are exactly "cardigan" material in the traditional sense, but it will be interesting to see how the pattern looks.

I am thinking that as we go into winter I'll be needing more layers as everywhere is supposed to have windows open. That's assuming that we don't all get locked in when Boris does his speech at 4pm.  If we are, I am hoping that this time my sewing mojo remains.
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

Kenora

« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2020, 18:28:29 PM »
I was really hoping to join in with this but I seem to have developed a sinus-type headache over the last week or so which is stopping me from sewing. :S :angry: If it eases off, I'll order some fabric, but if not I'll be cheering everyone else on from the sidelines. :) Looking forward to seeing what everybody makes.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2020, 10:21:19 AM »
It's a cardigan Jim, but not as we know it, not as we know it.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

This is made up of fabric stash left over from making a dress and a top!  Bought the fabric back in the days when fabric came from shops and you bought when you were there and saw something you liked.  I think I had intended to make a dress with a full skirt and a jacket.  It's a fine fabric with a reasonable stretch.

Anyway.  It's not really a cardigan, and it's only half done, but as no-one else has posted here I thought I'd start.

I didn't have enough fabric to make it even as long as the shortest length; but I did have lots of odd bits that have turned into the frills you see; no frill at the back as I cut enough for that to be the right length.  The one cuff is hemmed with a narrow hem, and hopefully when I hem the bottom the cuff and the bottom will be at the same level when my arm is done.

Problems; this is too big, although it's a 12, the size they recommended, I'll cut a 10 next time, or smaller, unless I'm using a thicker fabric.  It's a nice quick make (if you're not doing frills!) if in an easy fabric.  I like it as a quick make; not sure I love it as the back is a bit baggy.  It would be nice with a belt perhaps. 

I've got other fabric that I was going to make this up in. I'll probably do so, as otherwise it will sit in stash for yonks and I could do with an easy cover-up.

No help I think with you folks using thicker, proper cardigan fabric.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2020, 13:29:16 PM »
@Goth Gardiner well done for posting. Have you used the Prima Pattern as your starting place? If so useful to know about the sizing.

I'm unlikely to get to mine until mid/late next week due to work stuff.
However I do have the fabric ready. And might get to do something before then!

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2020, 13:33:33 PM »
Yes, this is the prima pattern. I can wear this version quite comfortably over both a long-sleeved t-shirt and a long-sleeved jumper.

Kenora

« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2020, 13:40:22 PM »
I'm still hoping to take part - my sinus headache has improved a little so I've ordered some fabric from Lamazi Fabrics, just waiting for it to arrive now. I'll be making the Sinclair Harper Cardigan which I made previously, but this time I want to lengthen it to probably about thigh length. I also want to make the sleeves a little wider as they're quite tight. And, lastly, I want to line the cardigan, so quite a lot to change about the pattern. Need to finish my BOM quilt first though. :)

SewRuthieSews

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2020, 17:06:17 PM »
For those needing info have a look at this article.  Scroll down to download the PDF. 
https://www.threadsmagazine.com/2018/12/07/sew-luscious-sweater-knits

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2020, 17:42:51 PM »
Hoping to start on my cardigan soon

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2020, 10:39:07 AM »
12 days to the end of November, loads of time to sew a cardigan!

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2020, 18:36:26 PM »
I've got the pattern and fabric out, the machines are threaded ready, so just need to trace.... and cut out

Ok pattern traced and fabric cut out.
I could not get any of the pieces side by side on my fabric in Size 18, so whilst it took loads I can probably get a top out of the leftovers.
I could have folded the fabric differently (as per the pattern layout) to use less fabric, but the cutting board was on the bed and its getting a bit late so just went with it folded in half.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 21:50:44 PM by SewRuthieSews »

Kenora

« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2020, 13:49:11 PM »
Well, my fabric has arrived but, whilst it's gorgeous quality, it's a lot thinner than I'd been expecting. It's a quilted jersey that (I think) @Ploshkin mentioned a while back. I'm happy with it but it was just me not reading the website description correctly. It will still make a nice coatigan but perhaps not of the weight I wanted. It's so hard when you have to order everything online.

The fabric's been in the washing machine and is just waiting to be ironed as it's gone all crinkly around the quilting lines. I also have the lining sorted out, so that's OK. Only problem is my sinus/head/shoulder pain is back with a vengeance so doing anything which requires me to bend over it is not an option. :S I want/need to alter the pattern too. So the whole project is on hold until my head decides to behave itself. This coatigan will get made but probably not in November. My mind is willing but my body is not co-operating. ><

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2020, 18:39:04 PM »
Prima November 2020 Cardigan

Made up in a very soft sweater knit.  It is very light but warm but perhaps not very exciting.
I made a size 18 in the middle length. The bottom hem is done on the coverstitch machine, the front edge is overlocked, rolled over twice and straight stitched. I added elastic in the wrists (which makes it very cosy) and elastic on the shoulder seams and back neck to try to avoid too much droop. The other seams are sewn with a straight stitch and overlocked to prevent fraying.

Lilian

« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2020, 20:24:30 PM »
That was quick @SewRuthieSews it looks comfy and a good idea with the elastic at the sleeve cuffs.  I haven't cut the pattern yet (been waylaid with other matters) but hope to start mine soon.  Thanks for the tips on elastic, I haven't sewn much in stretch so it's a new journey for me. Looks lovely on too  :)
Willing but not always able :)

Kenora

« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2020, 20:49:45 PM »
You say it's not very interesting, but that fabric looks like a snakeskin up close - it's fascinating. :) Looks like a lovely, warm and snuggly cardi. I'd never thought of putting elastic in the back neck either - thanks for the info.