The Sewing Place

Brioche knitting

Ploshkin

Brioche knitting
« on: October 21, 2020, 17:43:02 PM »
Has anyone done any brioche stitch knitting?
I really fancy giving it a go though I'm still on the second sleeve of a sweater I started ages ago.
I did a one colour swatch and i found it easy but my brain is frying trying to do 2 colour.  I have just found some instructions that make a couple of things a bit clearer so I'll have another try.
I'm better with written instructions than video which is probably as well because most of the videos are done by people who knit continental style and the techniue looks very different  from how I did it.
Life's too short for ironing.

Ellabella

Re: Brioche knitting
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 17:56:10 PM »
I found one colour easy but 2 fried my brain a bit.

I was never sure if I could do the knitting and follow pattern introductions at the same time :facepalm:

LeilaMay

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 18:01:30 PM »
I have done a little - but stopped doing the project because I relalised I'd never wear it :)
Basically it's like two pieces of knitting, intertwined, you knit one way in one colour - every other stitch, and then the opposite the other way back. I mean the instructions are more complicated than that, but that's what it boils down to.

Sometime I will do a shawl that combines colours, brioche and asymmetry - and a nice thick shawl will be wonderful - but for me I wasn't sure what I'd actually use brioche for, once I'd learnt the technique.

There are lots of instructions and videos, keep searching til you find on that works for you. Does Suzanna Bryan do brioche? She demonstrates more than one type of holding your needles and moving your yarn.

There you go

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLKJ9GuhEEwmWxUv-bPJi64wQfLWeeVP4

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2020, 18:43:40 PM »
I don’t like the look of it... :ninja:

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2020, 18:49:03 PM »
I just want to do it for the challenge and perhaps knit a hat or cushion cover.

I did a Shetland lace scarf a while back just because I had never tried lace knitting (I must get it out and graft the second end on).

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2020, 13:29:57 PM »
Galvanised into action by @SewRuthieSews stripes challenge I've knitted a hat.
It's a good first time brioche pattern because it doesn't have any shaping in the brioche.  It starts with plain rib then a stripe of single colour brioche to get into the rhythm then two colour brioche, which I actually found easier than single colour.  The crown is very badly drafted - it returns to standard rib but the decreasing is too rapid.  Mine looked a mess so I unpicked crown and did it in stocking stitch and decreased a bit more slowly so added in a few extra rows.  It still isn't how it ought to be but it will be a farming hat, of which I have many mostly lying about in sheds and vehicles.  I used 2 balls of Drops Nepal each left over from 2 cardigans I knitted last year.
I'm happy that I have mastered brioche stitch but can't see me wanting to use it for anything.  It makes a very thick fabric in aran weight yarn so should be warm so it will do for the warm and cosy (or is it soft and snuggly?) challenge too.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

LeilaMay

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2020, 17:47:20 PM »
Well I'm glad you got it out of your system by knitting something, and as 'somethings' go it looks like it will be useful  :)