The Sewing Place

Pants pattern back rise much too short

Vezelay

Pants pattern back rise much too short
« on: October 21, 2020, 18:24:14 PM »
Help please. Vogue pants dysfunction.

I'm making pants from a stash pattern Vogue 1440 . First I did a flat seat adjustment as per Anne Rowley's method which involved reducing the back crotch length by 1/2". Then on measuring the back rise it's at least 3 1/2" too short.

I've increased the front rise by 1/2", and the back rise slashed and spread from 1/2" at the side seam to 1 1/2" at the crotch - which is the maximum I thought I'd get away with. I've also added 1 1/4" to the top, tapered down to nil at the side seam (giving me 3 1/4" extra in total which should do. Is that the best way to do it or is there a better way?

What do you think?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 13:27:54 PM by Vezelay »

Helen M

Re: Pants pattern back rise much too short
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 23:27:04 PM »
Mmm that's a complicated one. I've never made Vogue pants so not sure how they fit compared to Style Arc. Are they low waisted? I'm also wondering if they are not wide enough under the crotch. I'm finding I need to lengthen the crotch point on the back and the front pattern pieces. Would that help?

Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

Vezelay

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 00:13:26 AM »
@Helen M the pattern gives no real indication if the pants are low waisted - if they are I want them higher. I've previously measured the front and back rise on all my close fitting pants both rtw and sewn, so I know roughly what they should be. I'd understand if they were both equally short but it's just the back and therein lies my problem. So lowering the crotch point the same amount on both probably won't solve it.

Maybe I confused things by mentioning the flat seat adjustment and my subsequent changes. Probably I should have just written:

What's the best way to add 3 1/2 inches to the back rise of a pants pattern?  :)

« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 07:55:55 AM by Vezelay »

toileandtrouble

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 07:32:55 AM »
It sounds like a cross with a jeans pattern. Do the sides match?  I might be tempted to add a yoke at the back and just raise the front.
(Love your new top by the way.)
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 07:59:28 AM »
I cheat.  I have a much tweaked jeans pattern that is a perfect fit and if I use any other trouser pattern I get out the jeans pattern pieces and alter the crotch of the new pattern to match.
I  only like trousers with a close fit so it works for me.
Life's too short for ironing.

Vezelay

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2020, 08:12:47 AM »
It sounds like a cross with a jeans pattern. Do the sides match?  I might be tempted to add a yoke at the back and just raise the front.

Now there's a thought. - could be the answer. I'll have a look at that.

@Ploshkin my modified StyleArc Elle pattern has served that purpose so far. It's just not absolutely totally perfect so I thought I'd take a chance with this one since it's apparently so straightforward!  :laughing: :laughing:

I should have added that these are to be made with ponte. All my previous home made pants have been stretch woven.

jintie

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2020, 08:15:06 AM »
 Could you have taken out too much for the adjustments and it is simply riding down at the back?
Can you overlay your TNT pattern and see the differences?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 08:17:00 AM by jintie »
Rottweiler with scissors

Helen M

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2020, 10:41:37 AM »
@Helen M  I'd understand if they were both equally short but it's just the back and therein lies my problem. So lowering the crotch point the same amount on both probably won't solve it.

I wasn't suggesting you lower the crotch point, but that usually helps as you can then pull the waist to the correct level (I've done it on RTW pants that I've worn and found to be just a tad too short), but to extend the crotch point of your back piece and taper it into the thigh area. It lengthens the centre back seam measurement. You can do the same to the front maybe less than the back. Do you have a particularly long crotch measurement? I do for my height and sometimes it's the 'underneath' bit that needs lengthening. Hope this make sense as it's not easy to describe without diagrams.

Ponte can work out similar to a stretch woven as some doesn't have that much stretch.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 10:43:57 AM by Helen M »

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2020, 12:02:49 PM »
Is it Vogue 1440?  Think you got the number wrong  :) your link goes to that one. 
If so It does state that it sits below the waist. 
Like @Helen M i have a long crutch fork....for that read big a**e  :)

Helen M

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2020, 12:50:39 PM »
Is it Vogue 1440?  Think you got the number wrong  :) your link goes to that one. 
Like @Helen M i have a long crutch fork....for that read big a**e  :)

@Ohsewsimple I've also got a flat backside though........which makes alterations a bit more complicated!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2020, 12:51:34 PM »
@Ohsewsimple I've also got a flat backside though........which makes alterations a bit more complicated!

I could never be accused of that! :)

toileandtrouble

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2020, 13:09:45 PM »
I looked at pattern review for 4110.  Most people made the top, one woman who made the pants said they came out far too big, but she put that right with a cookie diet.   :D
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Vezelay

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2020, 13:27:23 PM »
Yes @Ohsewsimple, right link, wrong number - I'll fix that.

@Helen M - hmm, maybe I'm just not up to speed with the terms. Let's see if I've understood now. You suggest extending the crotch point of the back piece down (to lengthen the rise) - which would presumably?involve shortening the back leg length to match the front seam. Is that it? I find these things difficult to picture

I don't think my crotch length is particularly long. Pants generally fit except for flat seat folds. A picture of the changes I've made might be useful. The paper (pdf) be is my modified Elle pant.

Differences: The Elle pant has an added 1 1/2" waist band. The Vogue doesn't- the top 1 1/2" of the pattern piece folds down (where the crease is) to enclose the elastic, hence the slight angle needed due to my additions. Also The Elle has 1/4" s/a, the Vogue 5/8". Sigh...

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Vezelay

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2020, 14:19:07 PM »
And one more showing the original pattern piece next to the altered one.

Helen M

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2020, 15:33:51 PM »
@Vezelay I'm sure I have a picture somewhere describing the process but I can't find it right now. I have to go out shortly but I'll try and think where I have it. Do you use Instagram by chance?

Looking at the 2 pictures I'd say the angle of the crotch 'hook' (couldn't think of the word before) differs. You don't need to take it down necesarily but make it longer if that makes sense. I just checked the description and note that it is below the waist. I think that may be the problem. If you can visualise a pair of RTW pants where the top of the leg seam is and it is 5/8" seam allowance what I'm suggesting is you make that seam allowance at the very top 3/8 or 1/4 so you are gaining length underneath and the back seam (and front) will be longer.

Have you put the Vogue on top of the SA? Also you said the Elle isn't perfect for you what isn't right? I've made the Elle but I prefer the Barb (I prefer a straighter leg so taper that). Have you measured your crotch length and compared it to the Elle length on the SA site?