The Sewing Place

Small item storage

Sewingsue

Small item storage
« on: October 22, 2020, 12:20:35 PM »
How do you store your 'small items' 'notions' so that you can find them again  :P

Things like hooks and eyes, snap fasteners (am I the only one who calls them press studs?) bias binding/tape assorted - stuff like that.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Lilian

Re: Small item storage
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 12:24:29 PM »
I call them press studs  :). I keep all my small bits in a tin  :)
Willing but not always able :)

Flobear

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 12:31:28 PM »
I have a smallish opening-up box similar to this that I got for my 21st birthday.

I keep press-studs aka poppers, hooks, thimbles and other small items in there, Also useful odds and ends like a mattress needle.

It comes in handy for weighting down the piece of wood that I put on top of the spare tank when I feed the snakes.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 12:38:50 PM »
I’ve got some plastic shoe boxes where my ribbons, elastics and tapes are.  Also got some small drawer organisers  From Ikea that zip up on the bottom.  They hold my snaps etc and sit in my drawers.  Also use one for buttons
https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/skubb-box-set-of-6-white-00428549/

Sewingsue

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 12:41:03 PM »

It comes in handy for weighting down the piece of wood that I put on top of the spare tank when I feed the snakes.
:laughing:  :faints:
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Lilian

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2020, 13:04:10 PM »
I have a smallish opening-up box similar to this that I got for my 21st birthday.

I keep press-studs aka poppers, hooks, thimbles and other small items in there, Also useful odds and ends like a mattress needle.

@Flobear You have snakes!  I love snakes  :loveit:
Willing but not always able :)

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2020, 13:14:02 PM »
I'm rather down market - take away containers in a set of Really Useful drawers.
Life's too short for ironing.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2020, 13:15:37 PM »
I have some drawer units from Ikea for the small bits (the current version is the Moppe), and some plastic drawers and some pretty storage boxes with lids. All are labelled otherwise no chance in finding anything ever again.

Gernella

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2020, 13:17:40 PM »
I bought one of these, at the time to put all my snap stuff in.  Trouble was when it came they sent a large one, which I have filled, with other things, not pretty but it works.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plastic-Compartment-Tool-Organiser-Divider-Small-Medium-Large-Tool-Box/143102298032?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item21518fc7b0:g:0WoAAOSw1XNcSYLr&amdata=enc%3AAQAFAAACYBaobrjLl8XobRIiIML1V4Imu%252Fn%252BzU5L90Z278x5ickk7d4nremBkvN

I've also got two of these, which are quit handy for bits and bobs plus the Pyrm Click Box system.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Crafters-Caddy-Storage-Box-Crafts-Sewing-Projects-Portable-Plastic-Organisation/143508095628?hash=item2169bfc28c:g:sCAAAOSwerZdvB2u

You are  really spoiled for choice really.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2020, 13:28:25 PM »
A few years ago I was asked what I wanted for Christmas by my brother.  I asked for the smallest plastic boxes he could find. After a few years of plastic boxes for Christmas I now have 18 of them; they sit nicely on my Ikea photo shelf.  I've labelled them and sometimes they are even stacked by content too.
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

Silver Rose

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2020, 13:49:36 PM »
I got some plastic boxes about 15" x 12" with adjustable compartments from Wilkos. I keep SM feet, needles and lots of other small things in one and the other two have reels and bobbins. Zips, bias tape and elastic I keep in separate plastic bags in my large fabric storage boxes.
Still learning

WendyW

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2020, 15:42:12 PM »
This has been in my sewing room 30+yrs. My grandfather was a mechanic and gave my grandma one. My mom had one, and it was the first purchase I made when I first got an actual sewing space. I've never known sewing without one.

Small cabinet by CraftymamaMN, on Flickr

This one I found at Hobby Lobby a couple years ago and I love it. The drawers are very nicely sized for all the stuff that doesn't fit in the first cabinet.

Large cabinet by CraftymamaMN, on Flickr

mudcat

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2020, 15:53:48 PM »
I keep all my buttons (I have 100s of them) in two containers similar to the first picture Wendy posted except the drawers are all the same size.  For most other notions, extra pins, etc they are in various plastic bins which are then inside the cabinet. It's not very efficient when I'm looking for something as i have to dig through it all.  I also have two 3-drawer plastic bins one of which I keep on top of the sewing desk. It is full of thread.   I think the multi drawer bin might actually be a better choice for the smaller things.

fajita

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2020, 16:08:48 PM »
Many tins.
It’s easy to give me gifts. If it comes in a tin it is acceptable lol.

Flobear

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2020, 16:38:03 PM »
@Lilian Nothing exotic, just two corn snakes that I acquired from the father of a child in my class 20 years ago who had a very successful hatching - 22 out of 23 eggs!
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!