The Sewing Place

Wedding dress

Terri

Wedding dress
« on: October 23, 2020, 11:30:52 AM »
Hello to everyone-I am a novice maker-and would appreciate any advice about my daughters wedding dress.We have bought a plain one which needs embellishing.She wants beads ,appliques and bits of diamanté added. We have found a bridal dressmaker to do the work -but can anyone recommend where to buy cheap embellishments? We are considering a trip to London to visit wholesalers to purchase bits —but where? I can see this turning into a bit of a task! Would really appreciate some help!

UttaRetch

Re: Wedding dress
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 13:31:11 PM »
There are a couple of shops in Walthamstow along the main drag* that have some lovely embellishments and they will almost certainly be cheaper than Barnett Lawson or Fan London, both of which I have visited.

*Hoe Street.  You can get there from Liverpool Street station via London overground, or on the Victoria Line.  The destination stop if Walthamstow Central.  It's a long way up, though, but there are also fabric shops.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 17:17:28 PM by UttaRetch »

maliw

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2020, 14:39:54 PM »
Where's DF when you need her? She bought loads of bling for her wedding dresses.
Hello Terri, welcome to the forum.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2020, 09:00:05 AM »
@DementedFairy  .... We need your expertise !!!!!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Efemera

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2020, 09:04:45 AM »

DementedFairy

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2020, 10:42:07 AM »
@DementedFairy  .... We need your expertise !!!!!!
Lol OK= although my expertise [and mojo] is very limited right now while the optometrist tries to sort out my Bell's-Palsy-trashed eyesight

I got the beautiful [not cheap] beads for our wedding dresses from The Viking Loom in York, I got the very cheap lace appliques and bling for the most recent one I made from good old eBay, lots of which comes from China, and that's usually absolutely fine in my experience
C'est moi!

Greybird

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2020, 11:37:09 AM »
Ooh! How nice to see you @DementedFairy - but sorry to hear you've had Bell's Palsy. Hope it gets sorted soon!

DementedFairy

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2020, 12:09:38 PM »
Ooh! How nice to see you @DementedFairy - but sorry to hear you've had Bell's Palsy. Hope it gets sorted soon!

I had it back in June, just in time for my 60th birthday.  The pain was bad for quite a while, but eased when we got a kitten, as he makes me laugh so much it's exercised my face nicely!
the eye problems are a damn nuisance though, especially since we went back to school.  My double vision and appalling lack of focus makes me squint and scowl at everyone, but I couldn't go back to the optician until things seemed to stabilise a bit.  Apparently I have impossible double vision IN ONE EYE and the other is rolling about a bit.  I can't wear contacts and need two new pairs of glasses, more expense.  Haven't done any sewing in months
C'est moi!

UttaRetch

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2020, 12:13:17 PM »
How wretched for you @DementedFairy.  Is your hip still giving you jip, too?

DementedFairy

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2020, 12:22:16 PM »
yeah hips and knees are still a damn nuisance of course.  We have to dash about between classroom for all lessons now, so the only thing I insisted on was all classrooms either being ground floor or lift-accessible, and having a trolley to lug all my gear about [we have to carry chromebooks everywhere instead of using classroom PCs- another issue when eyesight is bad as the wretched things are so small]
It's only taken SIX WEEKS to get the trolley.  Trip hazards everywhere of course, a pothole-filled yard seems compulsory in all schools, and huge great doormats which fold up all the bloody time...the battle is endless.
I have had a niggly cough so took the last three days off school, with cases rocketing this week, and ultimately FOUR year group bubbles being sent home, asymptomatic staff testing positive...I thought it wise to get a test.
I came up negative this time [first of many tests to come I'm sure] so will take this clearance and finally have my parents over for the first in person contact in months, and no doubt the last for the rest of this year.  It's my ma's 83rd birthday very soon, and it seems a good idea to see them when I know I'm currently not going to pass anything on to them.
The next half term will of course be even worse.
It's bloody scary
Dept of education has just quietly removed the 'schools are not high risk environments' from their guidance
Unions are going batshit
C'est moi!

Efemera

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2020, 12:29:12 PM »
Nice to see you @DementedFairy

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2020, 12:48:18 PM »
Good to see you here @DementedFairy.  sorry to hear you’ve not been well. 
Yes it’s scary times for everyone.  I never know what’s the best thing to do.  Try and keep my mum safe or keep her sane by visiting.   :thinking:

Surest1tch

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2020, 13:48:13 PM »
Wonderful to see you @DementedFairy, so sorry to hear about the crap the Bells is still giving you. You've definitely been missed  <3.

UttaRetch

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2020, 15:23:24 PM »
Dept of education has just quietly removed the 'schools are not high risk environments' from their guidance ... Unions are going batshit
Bullshit.  Children are reservoirs of disease whilst remaining largely resistant.

Hope the Bell's stabilises soon. 

DementedFairy

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2020, 15:39:09 PM »
Yeah they  have just taken that statement OFF
Rates of infection in secondary aged kids are already 17 times what they were in September, no surprise.  There is NO distancing, and masks not compulsory in classrooms it's insane
C'est moi!