The Sewing Place

Sat 24 October

Sheilago

Sat 24 October
« on: October 24, 2020, 06:32:45 AM »
Up early, as the dog seemed disturbed by the wind and now I can’t get back to sleep.
My wonderful mum passed away on Thursday and despite no sleep for over 40 hours, I just can’t settle well in bed. I so miss seeing friends at this time, I have a lovely sister and husband and grown up children, but sometimes just sitting having a relaxed cup of  tea with someone not so closely involved really helps. My mum was widowed very young, so she was our only parent and though she had a long life and slipped away peacefully , I can’t yet imagine life without her. She introduced us to all sorts of crafts and it has been a great gift. I know in a week or so I’ll find my sewing room a lovely escape.
For now, I’ll pass some time reading the threads here that I’ve missed in the last few days.

justpottering

Re: Sat 24 October
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 06:47:29 AM »
@Sheilago So sorry for your loss, you have my deepest condolences  :hug: 

JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea

steve_h

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 07:10:22 AM »
@Sheilago So sorry to read this sad news. Please accept my condolences.

Sheilago

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2020, 07:15:42 AM »
Thank you both. Just realised maybe I should have posted this elsewhere. I wasn’t intending to start the day on a sad note for everyone.

Please carry on posting what you’re all doing today, so that I can read that too. I’ll be seeing my sister, who will now be joining our bubble  and hopefully getting some fresh air walking the dog in the countryside.

Pearl

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2020, 07:23:26 AM »
 :hug: @Sheilago   So sorry for your loss.   :flower: <3

Today, after DD's piano lesson, I'm going to my mum's to sort out her phone problems.  Yes, I did say that yesterday.  Later I will be found sobbing in a sea of  :gin:  (Not for the first time  :laughing:)

Other than that, I will be finishing my cowl.  Two shells to go. 

I'm off to start today's birthday thread so please pop along there.  If your birthday is not on TSP calendar, please add your date of birth to your profile so that your friends here can send you greetings on your special day.  (If you're shy about your age, you can put a different year of birth.  We have members who are over 120!)

Have a lovely day, all.

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2020, 07:33:04 AM »
@Sheilago, I am saddened to learn of the death of your mother.

The cupboard is bare, so its food shopping and the plan is to finish the beastly dressing gown which I have been dragging out as I have become despondent about it.
What goes around comes around.

Lachica

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2020, 08:03:56 AM »
@Sheilago sorry to hear your sad news. Today I hope DH will be working on the kitchen plumbing. I accept we will be without a sink for a while but really, the dishwasher was delivered 2 weeks ago & is a bit of a roundabout. Why are modern sinks made with 2 tap holes & have to have a stopper over the hole that's unwanted? I understand it's easier for manufacturers to not make left & right handers, but the installer can cut a tap hole where it's wanted. An it's dishonest to show photos of sinks without holes then when you go to order it's in the small print that it comes with a stopper for the unwanted hole.  :headbang:
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Puzzler

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2020, 09:00:03 AM »
Deepest condolences @Sheilago  :flower:

Not much going on today at Puzzler’s Palace. I have to take care of some online stuff, possibly cook up an Irish stew for which I have the fixings and continue on with my curtains. Another week has flown past and I haven’t practised my Qigong movements or meditated like my instructor asked. The intention is there in the background but it never quite translates into action. Like a lot of things, I guess.

Efemera

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2020, 09:09:26 AM »
So sorry to hear your sad news @Sheilago .

A bit wild and windy here, may finish quilting the scrappy  quilt......
Waiting for my new machine to arrive.

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2020, 09:10:50 AM »
An(d) it's dishonest to show photos of sinks without holes then when you go to order it's in the small print that it comes with a stopper for the unwanted hole.

Oh Err Missus ...  the Murky Underworld and Dirty Dealings of Kitchen Fittings  :o    :S Whould've thunk it???

Its grey, windy and wet  out here in DDD and Im slippery, with my core temperature chilling down wrapped up in a big dressing gown waiting for my skin to absorb the unguents before I can dare dress in anything like normal clothing.

I need to go and get a paper and some beverages bu really dont fancy going out one bit ... I'd much rather stay at home and get on with the Recycle quilt which has entered the realm of tedium.

Have good days peeps.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Silver Rose

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2020, 09:56:57 AM »
So sorry to hear about your mum  @Sheilago
Another grey day here and a bit chilly. waiting for grocery fairy to come and then a bit of a walk later.  I don't feel properly awake yet so I'll just sit and have a think.
Have a good day.
Still learning

Celia

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2020, 09:57:51 AM »
Good morning everyone, not a lot to report here.  Sorry to here your news @Sheilago
Have a good day everyone I think I need a cup of coffee before my brain will engage

Gernella

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2020, 09:59:49 AM »
Grey and windy and everything is wagging about in the front garden. Pampas grass looks lovely and got a pinky look to it, comes too late so that within weeks its looking raggy.  Yuccas are coming again flower stalks all over the place. 45 years ago in this of neck of the woods, the grew but they never flowered.

DH howling forth, wrist bleeding in the night (thin skin) wanted some tape over his pad, and I did it a bit cockeyed, and "I never get anything right".  Thank the  Lord I have skin like rhinoceros, or water of a duck's back.   Shouldn't have me doing it from a cockeyed angle.

And it is coming brighter  so might get some sun soon.  First load of washing in, coffee has arrived, another day of delights and pretending I am  a housewife.
Stash extension 2020 -28.5 meters
Left at the end of 2019 - 39 meters

Iminei

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2020, 10:03:14 AM »
Ive got a luverly bunch of coconuts ... well actually I dont ...

But I do have a very impressive set of bruises after my unexpected exit from the bath the other night !!!
On the top half of my arm, (restricting movement) on my ribs, on my hip, on my thigh and on my shin!!!!  :S
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Greybird

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2020, 10:09:32 AM »
So sorry to hear that @Sheilago . Several of us losing parents this year.

Raining here this morning. Yesterday I started on my daughter's curtains - 2 pairs for her new dining room. I pulled a thread and found that the pattern was running off the straight grain by 4 cm. Having sent photos to the suppliers, I have heard this morning that they are happy to replace it but don't have enough. They are waiting to hear from their supplier!

Now, do I twiddle my thumbs or get on with the ironing?

Have good days everyone.