The Sewing Place

Style Arc Casey Coat

sewmuchmore

Style Arc Casey Coat
« on: October 24, 2020, 14:02:04 PM »
Has anyone made this. Any thoughts/comments? I cannot see that it has been reviewed on line.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Acorn

Re: Style Arc Casey Coat
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 14:47:48 PM »
Yes!  I made one three years ago - thread here.  I like it very much, and it was very easy to make, particularly as I used softshell, which doesn't need any seam neatening!

Last year I made a hood from another pattern which attaches to it with buttons, and at some point I am going to sew up the inseam pockets and replace them with patch pockets (if I have enogh fabric left) because I find the position of them a bit awkward for walking along with my hands in my pockets.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 15:18:17 PM »
@Acorn now i have seen the photo i do remember your coat. Plus just noticed the wallpaper behind the coat, is that Acorn leaves i can see?
I was thinking of wool and have sent for a sample of this to use both ways, but i never thought of soft shell so now of to look for some.

Janet

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2020, 15:36:59 PM »
Yes!  (To the wallpaper  :D )

That fabric is lovely.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2020, 15:40:33 PM »
Looking for softshell and i have found this which i am tempted to buy.

Janet

Acorn

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2020, 15:46:41 PM »
Well I can't not like that!  Seriously, though, that is really nice.  I got mine from myfabrics.co.uk but this year they only have plain and children's designs.

Puzzler

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2020, 18:22:46 PM »
Love some of the soft shell prints. Nice coat pattern too.

Starryfish

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2020, 19:19:38 PM »
I'm about to make one from offwhite boiled wool, and am thinking of adding a lining. It will be the last piece in my 6PAC wardrobe.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Tamnymore

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2020, 20:52:38 PM »
Mmm nice pattern. I've made a couple of Style Arc coats though not this one. Style Arc patterns are delightfully unfussy and well drafted so are a nice antidote to the Tilton patterns that I so often seem to wrestle with.

The one 'mistake' I've made with Style Arc patterns is to buy some single size paper patterns rather than multi size patterns. Having lost some weight I have some patterns that are now a bit big but don't have any clues to help with grading so buy the multi size patterns unless you are sure you are going to remain the same for ever.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

mudcat

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2020, 00:12:51 AM »
@Tamnymore SA will send you grading instructions if you ask.  I got them for the Linda pants a few years ago. 

I actually prefer the single size pdf where they then give you the size you ordered plus one size up and one size down. 

sewmuchmore

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2020, 09:12:41 AM »
I have used quite a lot of Style Arc patterns and because i go for the boxy look (to match my figure) i don't have a problem with the single size, plus as @mudcat says you get 3 sizes anyway.
@Starryfish if i go with the wool i will probably line it, but i am now definitely thinking soft shell as it will be used for walking the dogs, like i do anything else! So it will be easier to clean.
Plus after @Acorn comments re the pockets i am thinking of putting them in the horizontal seam.

Janet