The Sewing Place

Binding Width

Butterfly

Binding Width
« on: October 25, 2020, 12:05:39 PM »
Do you use a 2 1/2" or 2 1/4" binding for your quilts? Is it just a matter of preference, or is there a reason for the difference in width?
Creativity is contagious, pass it on

Lowena

Re: Binding Width
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 12:23:46 PM »
I cut my binding different widths for different quilts. My latest one has 4" binding, folded in half. I never use less than 2 .5" width.
 The  choice is yours
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 12:31:09 PM »
I wouldn't use less than 2 1/2" width.  By the time you have folded it in half that gives you a fairly narrow but manageable binding. 
Life's too short for ironing.

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 12:43:01 PM »
I used to do 21/2” but I’ve started to do 2”.. I think it looks much neater.

Kad

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2020, 13:20:16 PM »
I never use double binding on a quilt, so I cut my binding at 1 3/8" - gives a nice tight narrow edge. If the design calls for a wider binding, I add a strip to the quilt border and do my tight narrow binding in the same colour. End result looks much the same.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2020, 17:23:14 PM »
I'm with @Efemera in liking a tight binding and usually cut 2" strips for a a double binding.  I do handstitch the back down though.  To machine stitch it down would need 2.5" to provide the necessary overlap.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Kenora

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2020, 15:39:02 PM »
I agree with @Efemera and @BrendaP - I use a double binding, cut at 2" and hand stitch down on the back of the quilt.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Esme866

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2020, 18:59:46 PM »
I'm planning a one time quilting project - a bed spread - from a nice durable cotton/nylon upholstery fabric. No piecing except for the joints down both sides. Already have all of that worked out, including quilting each of the pieces separately and joining.

I've always assumed quilt bindings are cut on the bias most times. Is this correct?

I definitely want a self binding (no contrast) and would prefer something narrow. But with pillow shams needed also, I'm a bit short on fabric. Is it necessary for the binding to be bias cut for a quilt? I'll have ample "on grain" length, but would have bias strips pieced together every 12-16" (not ideal).

Any thoughts? I've not quilted before, but I'm looking forward to this fabric as a spread. Would a wider on grain trim work better.

Hope I'm not hijacking, but my brain has these debates linked together for some reason - which typically means there is a link. I'm planning on what we Americans refer to as a Euro edge on the shams, and these are typically cut with the grain as they are quite wide (2-1/2" finished width).

Any help greatly appreciated.

Efemera

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2020, 19:22:41 PM »
I cut my quilt bindings on the straight grain. Anything with curves... place mats, coasters I cut on the bias. Both 2” wide and then folded.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2020, 20:00:58 PM »
@Esme866 good to see you! You'll be happy to know that most quilts are done straight of grain, typically across but length of grain also. Just be consistent.

There is a school of thought that bias wears better for a heavily used/abused quilt but it doesn't really matter for most quilts. With nylon in the fabric it should wear beautifully.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2020, 20:10:55 PM »
@Butterfly it's preference and technique. Do some small samples. They can be mug rugs if you like or just a 4 x 6 inch layered like your quilt. Cut a binding strip in each width and try it.

I also like a tight binding so often cut 2 ¼". Other times I'll cut 2 ½" but then I take a generous ¼" seam.

Some people end up with loose binding where the quilt sandwich doesn't fill the entire binding. I prefer the snug version.

I wrap to the front and machine stitch the binding.

Esme866

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2020, 20:39:43 PM »
@Efemera & @Renegade Sewist :

Thank you sew much!  :dance:

Each time I think of starting this project, I remember I haven't addressed this issue.

I also forgot to mention I may decide to round the lower corners - depending on how the quilt hangs once completed except for binding. So if I round, I'll piece in some bias bindings for those corners.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2020, 02:10:28 AM »
@Esme866 I forgot to ask earlier. How is your Mother doing? Are you still there taking care of things or back in your own home? The latter I hope.  :)

Esme866

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2020, 07:57:22 AM »
Still at Mom & Dad's. FINALLY, for the first time in 50 years, my Mom has a fully qualified Doctor ( Dad always chose the Dr., based on how misogynistic they were, I think.) New Doc is in his 40's and has kept up with "brain drugs", has her on new antidepressant for 3 days and she is already beginning to sound like my Mom again! And its bringing back her sense of taste.

I've told Dad he's not making decisions for her care any longer. Next is a neurologist, if she can get in, best one in the area and her doctor's office is helping me big time.

Now, all I need to do is get my own blood pressure under control. I've been so stressed for so long, I couldn't even think about anything else. Still not sleeping. One thing at a time......

Iminei

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2020, 07:59:10 AM »
Your Quilt, Your choice!

I have often cut hugely wide bindings 5" ... Folded into two to make an impressive border/binding ... 
You can either sew to the back and turn to the front or t'other way round ...

You can attach it 1/4" from the edge or 1/2" ... or why not go really mad and set your needle to the left for the max width... which can be a real help if a couple of your blocks have come up short ... Who knows if its lovely fabric under the edge of the binding or raw wadding ????

I have handsewn bindings down but although I like the process I loathe handsewing ...(bit of a conundrum there I know) so most often I machine blanket stitch the binding down .. which makes them bombproof!

The only caveat there is making sure the thread you use doesnt interfere with the other side ...
It will show and can look nice but If you are sewing a black binding down onto a white quilt (for instance)  unless you highlight the line of stitching as a decorative aspect it wouldnt look too good and in those cases I handsew.

As I said your Quilt Your choice!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again