The Sewing Place

New coat

dolcevita

New coat
« on: October 26, 2020, 14:56:22 PM »
I've fancied a white coat for a few years now and have had some winter white wool melton coating resting in my stash for some time. In these horrible times, I didn't want anything too serious or formal and so when I got the September Burda issue I was drawn to the white coat in there. I'm not the ideal shape for a cocoon silhouette (pear) but I just about got away with it on the grading. It's such a fun coat, I really wanted to make it work.

The pattern is Burda, #116 from the September 2020 issue. The design is mostly quite simple but it's got some funky sleeve detail going on that gives a really unusual sleeve shape. I fused the entire coat with soft woven interfacing as it's the kind of shape that needs to retain its structure. This also helped any concerns I had with the strong colour of my lining showing through. I also washed both the wool and the lining before making. It's a white coat - need I say more!

The only thing that took time were the bits of handsewing. I prickstitched the facing on the inside as I wanted to ensure that the seam line ran slightly along the inner edge - having it directly on the edge would have taken away from the minimalist look of the coat, I think. I did the same for the sleeve hems. I also prickstitched the lining to the facing, again, just to keep everything where it should be. Other than that, it was just the hems as usual and adding the giant snaps for the front closure.

I'm planning a blouse with a hood to go with this, as I really like the look of this in the magazine. There is just such a pattern in a Burda from earlier this year that I've been threatening to make for ages, so that will be up next.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

snoozi soozi

Re: New coat
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 15:00:01 PM »
That looks beautiful, well done. In my hands it wouldn't stay white for 10 seconds  :scream:
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 15:02:33 PM »
That's really lovely - and the unexpected lining is wonderful!   0_0
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Kenora

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 15:35:50 PM »
Beautiful! :loveit:
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Silver Rose

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 15:36:22 PM »
What a lovely coat, stunning lining, well done.
Still learning

Nevis5

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 15:52:58 PM »
Wow.  That's fabulous.  Good luck keeping it clean  :devil:  but I love the shape and finish x

Ellabella

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2020, 15:57:14 PM »
Wonderful!

So Chic

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2020, 16:00:11 PM »
WOW - absolutely stunning
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

mudcat

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2020, 17:30:26 PM »
The lining was an unexpected surprise when I scrolled. Very striking.  Your coat is gorgeous. 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 22:37:19 PM by mudcat »

Gernella

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2020, 17:55:19 PM »
That is a lovely coat, I love that kind of neckline.  I like the colour as well,  I've always fancied something in wool melton.  Absolutely gorgeous colour lining as well <3
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Tamnymore

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2020, 17:57:00 PM »
Yum Yum! It's a lovely coat and what a snazzy lining too.  :loveit:
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2020, 19:09:32 PM »
 Very nice.  Wouldn’t stay that colour long with me!   :laughing:

dolcevita

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2020, 20:43:37 PM »
Thanks, all!

I have low expectations of this coat staying clean for long but it was never meant to be a practical proposition. Sometimes, it's nice to make something just for the hell of it - decadent experiences are somewhat limited these days!

Lilian

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2020, 20:52:07 PM »
Gorgeous coat and love that lining!   :loveit:
Willing but not always able :)

Surest1tch

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2020, 22:07:44 PM »
That's lovely, I don't really wear coats as I usually prefer anoraks and macs (yep I'm a scruff