The Sewing Place

Help with knitting terms ... please!

Kenora

Help with knitting terms ... please!
« on: October 26, 2020, 21:47:41 PM »
Can anybody help me with some knitting terms, please? I've been knitting for lots of years but have come back to it after a lapse of many years. I've found a lovely scarf pattern on Ravelry which I'd like to make for myself but I've come a bit unstuck with one of the terms. (The pattern doesn't give a summary of the abbreviations.)

The second row has the instruction "... sk2tog psso ... " which I interpret as "slip 1, knit 2 together, pass slipped stitch over". So far, so good.

The next row has "... slk2tog psso ... " and it's this that I'm stuck on. The "l" is confusing me, and it's definitely an "l" and not a "1". I've googled "slk2tog" but nothing comes up. I believe it's American terminology but that shouldn't make any difference.

It's the Cable & Vine Lace Scarf and is a free pattern. It's the "slk" part which has me stumped. I feel I'm overlooking something obvious so if anybody can enlighten me I'd be very grateful. :)

I can link to the pattern if that would be any help.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 21:49:16 PM by Kenora »
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Lilian

Re: Help with knitting terms ... please!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 22:02:15 PM »
@Kenora I think it means the same as sk2tog psso, possibly a typo, have you tried it to see if it looks right?

I would like the link to try it out :)

« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 22:10:45 PM by Lilian »
Willing but not always able :)

twopence

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 22:23:02 PM »
Have you looked at the chart to see if the symbols are different?  It looks a lovely pattern.

Lilian

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 22:24:55 PM »
I have just downloaded the pattern and will give it a go.  I think it is a typo on the first row, all the others are the same.

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 22:54:28 PM »
A free pattern without a list of abbreviations does suggest that it hasn't been well proof read and so a typo is quite likely.

The only other thing that I can think of for "slk2tog psso"  is slip knitwise, K2tog, psso   but for a regular "sk2tog psso"  you would slip the stitch knitwise anyway (because you are going to do something more with it in the same row).  Slipping purlwise is only when nothing further happens to it on the same row.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Kenora

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 22:59:00 PM »
Thanks, ladies, for your quick replies. No - I haven't looked at the chart - I've never used charts before so I didn't even think about it. :facepalm: I did think of the possibility of a typo but it's repeated in other rows, so I wasn't sure. Coming back to knitting after such a long time, I wondered whether things had changed a lot.

I haven't started it yet - so thank you so much, Lilian, for saying you'll give it a go. My knitting confidence is a bit low. I've been crocheting for many, many years but my knitting is limited to hats in the round. I'm hoping the scarf will come out well and give me more confidence to try other things. :)

Just seen Brenda's reply too. I thought "slk2tog psso" would have to be a different instruction from the first one but the more I looked at it and thought about it, the more confused I became. :S I suppose the only way to be sure is to have a go at it.

Lilian

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2020, 13:00:13 PM »
@Kenora I am in the process of knitting this pattern and it looks ok to me.  I will post a pic when I have done a bit more, to show how it looks.  I am quite slow but it is a lovely pattern and I will continue with it.  I disregarded the  (sk2tog psso) and did it as (slk2tog psso) so definitely think it is a typo :)

Kenora

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2020, 13:48:50 PM »
@Lilian - you're a star!  <3 :flower:

Thank you so much. I've found some 100% Alpaca yarn in 4-ply which I think might be suitable. It's certainly beautifully soft. So I'll have a go now that you've confirmed it's almost certainly a typo. I'll be very, very, very slow as I can only knit for half an hour at a time. :P

I'm really looking forward to seeing your knitting. Please don't rush on my behalf - I'm just grateful that you said you'd try the pattern out.

Lilian

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2020, 16:10:03 PM »
I have knitted the first 24 rows plus an odd row to complete one pattern.  As you will see I have used a DK yarn but it is a little bit finer then most DK yarns.  It doesn't show the pattern as much as a solid colour would but hope you can see the pattern showing through.  :)

Yours will look beautiful in a 4ply yarn @Kenora :)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 16:12:11 PM by Lilian »

Kenora

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2020, 16:19:16 PM »
Wow, it looks fabulous! I love that Crofter yarn. I've used it a lot for little charity bits and pieces, but it's surprising how well it shows up the pattern. My yarn is a dark maroon - not what I'd choose but it was in my stash. :)

You've given me the impetus to make a start, and the confidence I needed to have a go, so thank you again. <3

I'll post a pic when I've got as far as you.

Lilian

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2020, 16:24:16 PM »
No problem @Kenora it gave me something else to concentrate on (still awaiting biopsy results :() If you get stuck just call out and I will help if I can.  Glad you started this  :)

I only have the one ball of crofter I think, just donated about 50 balls of yarn to treetops charity, \i have far too much of it  :facepalm: but will find a suitable colour to put in the middle and then end off with the crofter  :)

Kenora

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2020, 17:16:39 PM »
I understand @Lilian - the waiting is the worst, isn't it? The scarf will look lovely with Crofter at both ends. I used to make baby blankets from it, and they were always well received. It's such a soft yarn, and great to work with too. The alpaca I have is just 2 x 50g balls but they are 300yds each so I'm hoping they'll be sufficient for a scarf. It just won't be very long. :)

Lilian

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2020, 18:08:32 PM »
I have been pestering them for the results, and yesterday the consultant surgeon rang me to say it definitely is not C so that put my mind at rest somewhat.  She can't do anything until the results are in.  :\

300yds is what the pattern calls for so it should turn out the right size. One ball should be enough for one scarf  :)

I think I may have sent one ball of the crofter to the charity shop!

Kenora

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2020, 17:51:57 PM »
Well it's taken me a long time but I've finally remembered to take a photo of my scarf - not easy as it's such a dark colour, so I had to take it into the conservatory for good light, and put something white underneath it.

I'm really pleased with how it's turning out, so thank you @Lilian for all your help with this pattern. I've added about 10 plain stitches at the beginning and end of each row to make the scarf a little wider as I'm using 4ply yarn. I've also had to order more of the alpaca as each 50g ball is only going to produce about 15" of knitting, and I only had 2 balls.

It's not a very good photo but I think you can see how it's looking. :)

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Lilian

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2020, 20:19:30 PM »
@Kenora I was thinking about this and was about to ask if you did it. It looks fabulous and shows the pattern much better than the mixed colour I started it with.  It looks so soft and snuggly and I love the colour.  So glad you made the scarf, I like the extra on the side, it gives it more depth.  :loveit: