The Sewing Place

New Home machine

garynortheast

New Home machine
« on: October 31, 2020, 11:54:15 AM »
Just bought a 1909 New Home machine. It's a New National U model in need of a clean and a bit of a restoration. It was in a charity shop and cost me just £15!

The encouraging thing is that aside from a couple of small screws and the lid, it's complete and working. It's a vibrating shuttle machine like my Singer 28k and, like the Singer, when I took the bobbin out of the shuttle there was still thread on it.

I'm currently taking bits off of it and cleaning them up. It'll take me a little while but a good clean and service should see it perfectly usable again.

Ohsewsimple

Re: New Home machine
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2020, 11:59:09 AM »
Another bargain grabbed by a TSP member!  :thumbsup:

Mr Twingo

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2020, 13:22:08 PM »
These old machines are superb. They just go on and on and on!

For cleaning, I use paraffin which is great at removing dried oil and grease, and produces a lovely sheen.

Good luck with the restoration.  :thumbsup:

garynortheast

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 16:51:53 PM »
Not doing a full restoration at the moment, instead gave it a clean, an oil, and a service. I want to make sure everything works as it should and that it will actually sew. It does feel very nice to use, everything turns, oscillates, and rises and falls as it's meant to.
A couple of observations.
1.  It's amazing how little the basic design of this 1909 American machine differs from my 1940 Singer.
2.  It's a nice little machine but not in the same league as my Singer with regard to quality of components.

Here's a picture of it after I put it all back together. The little glass file full of red liquid on the base was wedged into the compartment under the machine. I suspect it's machine oil, and probably nearly as old as the machine.

New National 1909
by garynortheast

There are a couple of screws missing from it which I need to source but otherwise it appears to be all there
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 17:00:04 PM by garynortheast »

HooliganHeart

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2020, 13:54:25 PM »
Nice looking machine there. Always great to see another being readied to being used again  :thumbsup: