The Sewing Place

fleece blanket - suggestions?

AshleyCam

fleece blanket - suggestions?
« on: October 29, 2020, 20:49:59 PM »
Hello everyone!  :angel: I am new here and new to quilting. I wanted to make a blanket using fleece and batting. Any suggestions on making and quilting it? What batting is better for this?

BrendaP

Re: fleece blanket - suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 22:26:40 PM »
Fleece is usually used as an alternative to wadding/batting and the backing.

Regular quilting is:  pieced top - wadding - backing
The alternative is:  pieced top - fleece.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 06:17:16 AM »
Two other versions are single layer of fleece with it edged on an overlocker or with a blanket stitch or two layers of fleece layered together then slashed several inches in at regular spacing all around and the 2 layers tied together.

If I were using a batting with fleece I would use polyester. Similar shrinkage and drying time. I would straight quilt in a grid or diagonals from 8" to 12" apart.

A single layer of fleece is surprisingly warm.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 06:19:59 AM »
@AshleyCam , BTW, welcome! LA? Are you in the US? California girl here. When you said batting rather than waddling it caught my eye.
  • bec likes this
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Sheilago

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020, 15:36:23 PM »
@AshleyCam , I often make baby play quilts with a patchwork front, cotton batting and a fleece back. It makes them nice and soft for putting on wooden floors for baby to lie on. I usually buy Hobbs Heirloom, which is made in USA. So long as you pin, pin, pin very carefully, you can then quilt through the 3 layers quite easily, although investing in a walking foot does help.