The Sewing Place

Latest mittens

Celia

Latest mittens
« on: October 30, 2020, 13:08:01 PM »
Here is what I have been up to lately, I seem to be besotted with making mittens. Plus a pair of socks which my cat seems to think are for her.

Ellabella

Re: Latest mittens
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 13:13:43 PM »
Lovely @Celia you must have a lot of patience.

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 13:47:01 PM »
@Celia , your knitting is lovely!!  I remember the first thing I learnt to knit at school, was a pair of mittens.

Your socks are lovely.  I've only just started to knit socks, and mine are very simple.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Kenora

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 13:52:49 PM »
Wow @Celia - what lovely work.  :loveit: You must have the patience of a saint to darn all those ends in.  :angel:
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Sheilago

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020, 15:21:28 PM »
Beautiful! I only know of one person, a friend of mine, who can knit mittens like those. They are such a lot of work, but lovely and cosy.

Efemera

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2020, 17:42:59 PM »
I love those ....

Flobear

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2020, 17:54:03 PM »
Oooh! Norwegian mittens. I loved my pair that I had when quite a wee thing. Brought back from Norway by a lovely Uncle (or possibly Auntie) iirc. Mine were blue with white patterns, I was fascinated by the shape at the top. I'm sure @Ploshkin will remember hers too.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Puzzler

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2020, 19:20:55 PM »
Really nice! What do you cat think of your socks?

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2020, 19:46:54 PM »
Ooooh  @Celia those mittens are lovely, and show a high level of skill.  Wear them with pride. :loveit:

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ploshkin

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2020, 08:12:31 AM »
Beautiful @Celia   I really don't have the desire to do colour work though I used to like doing Shetland and Icelandic patterns.  What yarn did you use to get those diagonal stripes on the socks  or is it knitting technique?
@Flobear the very first picture that  came into my head was my Norwegian mittens that Richard brought back for us.  Mine were red and I loved them.
Life's too short for ironing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2020, 11:41:32 AM »
Ooh very nice.  Very impressed with the socks!

Gernella

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2020, 11:50:16 AM »
I wish I could knit like that.   Many moons ago I bought a pattern set, all the wool etc., to make a long cardigan with a dragon down the back. Fabulous it was, unfortunately I had no experience of running with half dozen different colours and although it was wearable (inside) it looked nothing like the original.

I think I just about managed to knit a three colour school scarf and that was in nice bands so relatively easy.

Lovely neat knitting.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Lilian

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2020, 22:41:07 PM »
I am impressed with all of it, the mittens or should they be kittens  -< are gorgeous @Celia and the socks look lovely and warm, I have never knitted sock they look difficult  :) thanks for sharing your beautiful work  :loveit:
Willing but not always able :)

Celia

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2020, 23:44:09 PM »
Beautiful @Celia   I really don't have the desire to do colour work though I used to like doing Shetland and Icelandic patterns.  What yarn did you use to get those diagonal stripes on the socks  or is it knitting technique?
@Flobear the very first picture that  came into my head was my Norwegian mittens that Richard brought back for us.  Mine were red and I loved them.

The socks are a bit of a cheat, the wool does all the work but the mittens are all knitted in the traditional way, 2 are Latvian style and the one with the moose on is Norwegian.