The Sewing Place

Hello from Washington State

violetpastille

Hello from Washington State
« on: May 21, 2017, 17:49:10 PM »
Hello!

I like this forum, thank you for letting me join.

I'm back to sewing after years away --- and I'm working on fitting the Doris Dress by Sew Over It. I'm finding it so challenging, I remember being so good at FBA stuff. -- So I added a bust dart and now I'm trying to figure out where to move it. Meh. I guess I'll just leave it. That's what floral prints are good for.

Okay. I guess I'm ready to cut out then. Wish me luck!

Ravingdoll

Re: Hello from Washington State
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 18:02:18 PM »
Hello and welcome here.  I am thinking of buying that pattern, so I look forward to your review.  I've made a few Sew Over Its with, so far, good results, although I keep putting off making the Joan, much as I like it! 

UttaRetch

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 18:07:22 PM »
Hi and welcome to our little place.  :toast:  We have a smattering of Americans and if you are on PatternReview, you might recognise some of them.

I remember being so good at FBA stuff. -- So I added a bust dart and now I'm trying to figure out where to move it. Meh. I guess I'll just leave it. That's what floral prints are good for.

0_0   0_0  I love florals and you can hide 'mistakes' in a busy print.  ;)

Catllar

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 18:45:57 PM »
Hi and welcome - love your user name! You are going to fit right in here  - love your attitude. :)
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Vegegrow

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 20:23:11 PM »
Welcome from me too ... grab a  :toast: and join in  :)
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Marniesews

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 21:38:20 PM »
- love your user name!
Me too, makes me think of parma violets, how I loved those little sweeties in my youth. I mostly sew for others with lots of lycra and I must get to grips with FBA for stretch knits. I'm sure I saved a tutorial or two on my pinterest boards but they fill up so quickly doubtless it'll take me an age to find them even though I pin much less frequently than I used to.

I've just had a look at the Doris dress - a lovely flattering vintage feel to it. Fingers crossed for your success!
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

BajaSusana

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 21:56:43 PM »
Bienvenidos, Welcome!
And welcome back to sewing.
I suggest that you get ahold of the Palmer/Plersch books, Fit for Real People and Pants for real,people.
They are great resources for even the most experienced sewists. :drink: :loveit:

Lantana

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 22:48:21 PM »
Wellcome from me ... pleased you've found your way back to sewing and hence onto this forum. There is so much expertise to be found here. Enjoy  :)

Lantana :vintage: