The Sewing Place

I've been having a count

Gernella

I've been having a count
« on: October 31, 2020, 11:45:44 AM »
I came across my old spreadsheet yesterday with machine purchases on so I had a count over the years.  I know for a fact that when I comes to machine ownership I am a complete virgin but even I was surprised.

So I have had from aged say 14 years old - 10 machines (and most of them  from 2008, which tells you something about the Forum ;))

Currently I have 4 sewing machines, but  getting a bit itchy.

However bearing in mind I am creeping to the mid 70's this  isn't too bad.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Ohsewsimple

Re: I've been having a count
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2020, 11:57:35 AM »
I’d say that was pretty good!   I know lots of people change their machines like they change their socks but I tend to stick with mine.  I might have to have a count up now and get back to you! 

Gernella

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2020, 13:18:56 PM »
I seem to remember seeing a photograph, I think it was on the Forum, of sewing machines stacked all over the landing of a house, so they could barely move.
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 13:19:11 PM »
I've got one machine and have had one previously which I gave to my granddaughters  ( never used )
@Stitches persuaded me to buy a.baby machine to take to sewing group, but as the village hall seems to be shut permanently it's packed away  :'(
I don't think I'll ever need another machine as I only do p and q
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Stitches

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2020, 14:49:08 PM »
I have had 12 machines I have a embroidery machine 1 overlocker 2sewing machines one is a light weight one that I got for the sewing group but packed away for now as village hall is closed .

Roger

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2020, 20:49:35 PM »
i have a few  :rolleyes:

but less than i did have :)

(maybe 14)  :| i shouldnt count... counting is bad!
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

WendyW

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2020, 21:55:48 PM »
I bought my first machine of my own at age 18. It was a used Viking and lasted me about 8yrs. I'm sure it could have been repaired, but hubs offered to buy me a new one, and who was I to argue? I still wish I hadn't traded it in when I got the new one, though. It made beautiful buttonholes! Replaced it with a Pfaff that lasted almost 30 yrs. That got "retired" to my daughter's house when it started noisily protesting higher speeds. Next Pfaff arrived about 3 yrs ago.

Along the way I also got a Riccar 3-thread serger in '85 when they were brand new on the home market. That lasted until 4 yrs ago when it locked up on me, and I decided to replace it. I wanted a 4-thread, and I was tired of practically standing on my head to thread it!  Along the way I have also picked up a Featherweight and a Singer 66 Treadle, and a newer low-end non-computerized machine as a back-up and for my granddaughter to learn on.

So, only 3 primary machines over 37 yrs, plus 5 others for various purposes.

mudcat

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2020, 22:48:23 PM »
When I was a kid/teen I used my mom's avocado green Kenmore machine.  Kenmore was a Sears department store brand and they contracted out to the major sewing machine companies so who knows what it really was.  When I turned 21 my mom gave me a generous amount of money towards a new machine which ended up also being a Kenmore.  The thing is they both had tension problems but it didn't occur to me it was a brand issue.  At one point she bought a machine and ended up giving it to me because of my ongoing tension issues.  Another Kenmore but I don't recall it having the tension problems so either the supplier fixed their problem or Sears switched suppliers.

One of my good friends had the old Viking cam style machine and I lusted after it for years.  She hardly sewed but I sewed a lot back then.  Unfortunately, the price was out of my budget range at the time.  Finally in 1997 I saved up enough money to buy my Viking #1.  I added a Babylock a few years later and then the backup New Home/MemoryCraft 4800.  About three years ago I bought a Janome Gem for traveling as I wanted to go take some classes in other cities.    Last machine was the cover stitch.

So a total of six sewing machines of which I still have three.  Plus one serger/overlock and one cover stitch. I don't see myself buying additional machines unless I have to replace one of them.  As much as I'd like to have the sashiko machine I can't justify spending that much for something that would have limited use.

jintie

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2020, 09:06:36 AM »
@mudcat, if you lived closer, you could try out my sashiko machine. I hardly ever use it- the threading is completely different from a regular sewing machine, and I always have to watch threading online first. You are right - it only does one thing. An option would be a group buy to share, as it is very expensive. Or contract to sashiko quilt other folks' work. Or make handicrafts to sell.

Mine was an impulse buy.

I have the Babylock Sashiko - the downside is that it only does the sashiko stitch on the top - the bottom is a continuous stitch. And you can't see when the thread is going to run out - it is only in the bobbin.
Rottweiler with scissors

Gernella

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2020, 11:07:19 AM »
Bit like my Coverstitch really, I make  some tops, decide I've done enough and then it goes away until next time I want tops, although it did have a quick journey out for the first jersey knit dress I made earlier this year.  But it is too useful to let go.

KayK

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2020, 11:36:41 AM »
I understand the 'itchy' feeling about machines - I have had too many to count, but I will say a lot of them were old cheapies that I fettled and tidied up and sold on.  I do have some regrets about machines I sold on though - there's always the thought that there is something better out there.  I sold a lovely Bernina 1260, a Janome Memory craft  and a Singer 401G to help fund a new Bernina, and now wished I hadn't.  The new Bernina is lovely, but not quite the quality of the old one.  I find I start to hanker after another machine after about 6 months - It certainly won't be a new one again!   I have had my old Brother overlocker for about 20 years, and it still trundles along happily.  I think I get niggled by the 'poorer' quality of the machines now - I have an Innovis 10 which I take to classes, and it really isnt very well made, I dont think it will  last long (this was the little devil that was misbehaving with the bobbin winding yesterday!)   I get a little 'machine envy' at classes sometimes - a lady has an old Bernina which sounds as smooth as silk, but I have noticed that those who bring the smaller Brothers all have issues!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2020, 11:38:46 AM »
I used to borrow my Mum's sewing machines, until she had a really crap modern Singer, when I finally bought my own (Elna 3003), probably about 30 years ago.  It's still going strong and comes out for difficult or thick fabrics, but I bought my new Pfaff a couple of years ago cos the Elna's buttonholes were rubbish.
I've had two coverstitchers, one overlocker, and two embroidery machines. So not many.
I'm not counting my grandma's, then mum's, old Singer 28k (or is it a 128k, can't remember), or the other old ones bought as "decorative items".
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 21:24:21 PM by Bodgeitandscarper »

Gernella

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2020, 13:14:53 PM »
  I do have some regrets about machines I sold on though - there's always the thought that there is something better out there.  I sold a lovely Bernina 1260, a Janome Memory craft  and a Singer 401G to help fund a new Bernina, and now wished I hadn't. 

I've been there @KayK , I sold my Pfaff Select 2  to fund the Bernina Activa 215 that I'd bought off Ebay.  I'd not used it for months, the buyer wanted to collect in person so I set it up on a table in the hall and thought I'd better try it to make sure I knew how to use and select stitches.  By the time I'd finished I realised that this was a  really good machine, I wanted to keep. Even though it hadn't got IDT on which was what I tried to persuade her with, she still wanted to buy.

I got itchy and six weeks later I bought the Pfaff Select 4. I have used it more though.  That was in 2013 and I've not sold/bought since other than swapping the overlocker  2013 and coverstitch in 2016.

I've got no money but I always know where it's gone ;)

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2020, 22:53:33 PM »
Started in my mum's old Jones although I did used to play with her treadle machine.

My first machine I bought at 18 was an Elna Lotus.  Gave it to my ex MIL.  Regret that!
Elna Air Electronic was next.  That caught fire !   But was rescued. 
Pfaff 7550 which I still have and occasionally use but no longer does buttonholes so had to get another machine. 
Brother pe 150 embroidery machine gifted to mum
Brother super galaxy 2000 gifted to my mum.
Husqvarna Designer SE combined sewing and embroiderY machine.  Still use this and sews beautifully.
Husqvarna Designer Diamond Deluxe Sewing/embroidery machine
Pfaff 30 paid £10 from work

Also had a Bernina 440 overlocker sold
Bernina 1150 mda current one.
Janome Coverstitch machine sold
Babylock coverstitch.

Not too bad for 46 years!

Marniesews

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2020, 04:32:28 AM »
From 1972--79 I had 2 machines, one given to me, the other a cheap Brother bought from a mail order catalogue.
From 1979--2014 I had 1 (a beautiful top of the line Husqvarna).
In 2014 the Husqvarna bit the dust and I replaced it with 2 Pfaffs (one heavily computerised, the other a lightweight mechanical). I also bought a Brother overlocker.

Then I joined TSF shortly after and have subsequently bought 4x Berninas from the 80s/90s and 2 Singer vintage machines, upgraded to a Juki overlocker and bought a Bernina coverstitch.   :thinking:

Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.