The Sewing Place

Tracing Paper

So Chic

Tracing Paper
« on: October 31, 2020, 13:40:01 PM »
Can anyone recommend a good tutorial for tracing patterns as I’ve never done it but I have the Prima cardigan which is printed on both sides.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Morgan

Re: Tracing Paper
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2020, 14:05:59 PM »
Depending on which head I am wearing on the day, I use two or three different methods.
Often it's about what I have on hand.

Tracing onto paper or a toile

My favoured method us to use my pattern paper on the bottom, then a piece of waxed carbon paper (only the waxed- hate the chalk stuff) and then the pattern to be copied.  I use a clover tracing wheel (no spikes).

I also use this method for tracing a pattern and markings onto a toile, especially on a toile for fitting a pattern for trousers.  (Never use the waxed paper on the fabric for the real thing.)

For copying clean copies of pattern pieces I've drafted myself, sometimes I just use a spiked tracing wheel.

When tracing off from a multi-sized pattern, It's helpful to use a highlighter pen to highlight the cutting line you intend to follow..

If tracing onto tissue or tracing paper I just lay it over the pattern and trace with a pencil or pen.

I've tried taping a pattern to a patio door window and tracing off that way (version of a light box).  Not something I'm a fan of doing although it does work well.

Tracing Markings onto garment pieces:

For very fine fabrics or expensive stuff, I take the markings onto the fabric with thread tracing. 
On items that will be washed, I like to use water colour pencils. 
Other times, provided the fabric doesn't hold the mark, I trace off the marks with frixion pens.  They disappear when heated by the the pressing iron.

Phew, I'm done .  . . Time for a lie down.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 21:09:48 PM by Morgan »

UttaRetch

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2020, 15:06:23 PM »
The link for the clover tracing wheel referenced by @Morgan is broken.  It should be this.

I use Swedish tracing paper and lay it on top of the pattern pieces and then trace.

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 16:53:51 PM »
I use Burda tracing paper all the time... nice huge sheets and easy to see through.

datcat23

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2020, 02:58:34 AM »
It depends on what you mean by "tracing".  Do you mean taking a copy of your original pattern, or getting the pattern details onto your fabric.

I prefer to copy my patterns onto a tracing medium.  In the past I have used swedish tracing paper, but the current method is to use Trace&Toile, laying it over the pattern, and then copying the lines and markings.  I find this the best, as I often have to adjust the pattern, or grade to other sizes.  I can then pin the traced pattern to the fabric, and cut it out.  It also means that my original stays intact. 
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.

2021 Fabric Fast:  Metres used: 20  Items Made:  10     Upcycles: 4   Howling disasters:  2

jintie

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2020, 08:23:55 AM »
I use baking paper if I have nothing else.
Make do and mender