The Sewing Place

Seaming rib knitting

Ploshkin

Seaming rib knitting
« on: October 07, 2021, 21:43:45 PM »
I hate sewing up knitting, in fact where possible I knit in the round to avoid seams.  I find it hard to sew up neatly especially ribbing.  I use backstitch for stocking stitch seams which is usually reasonably tidy but am never sure what is the best for ribbing.
Hos do you sew yours?
Life's too short for ironing.

Greybird

Re: Seaming rib knitting
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2021, 23:06:51 PM »
Mattress stitch - worked from the right side, one stitch in from the edge. Pick up 2 bars on one side and then the corresponding 2 bars on the other and repeat. Pull the edges together for a seamless effect. Every couple of centimetres give the section you've done a good tug along it's length to make sure you haven't done it too tight.

Syrinx

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2021, 08:01:46 AM »
Same as Greybird. Always use mattress stitch

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2021, 09:33:45 AM »
Same here @Ploshkin , although only the past few years. It takes a lot of patience at first, but it does look sooo much better.

I'm with you though, circular means no seaming needed!  :thumbsup:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Flobear

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2021, 11:28:30 AM »
I've only ever sewn ribbed cuffs, not a whole ribbed garment and use an overstitch on the side that is to be seen. However, mattress stitch sounds like a better idea
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 11:33:03 AM by Flobear »
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Ellabella

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2021, 11:48:32 AM »
Mattress stitch is the best way, it gives a lovely result but I hate doing it and am another knit in the round where you can fan.

Diane

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2021, 16:52:48 PM »
Mattress stitch for me, it closes the seam like magic
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Deafoldbat

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2021, 19:32:49 PM »
Whip stitch on the inside, not too deep and not pulled too tight. It will flatten out and there won't be a ridge. Mattress stitch if you have the patience...

Greybird

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2021, 19:59:16 PM »
I always find mattress stitch very satisfying to do and don't find it takes too long. Very good for pattern matching too.

Ploshkin

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2021, 20:00:07 PM »
Thank you all.  Why have I never done that?  I've just done a cuff,  it was dead easy and it looks spot on  :thumbsup:
Life's too short for ironing.