The Sewing Place

Looms and Weaving in General

Celia

Re: Looms and Weaving in General
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2020, 16:44:28 PM »
Here is my latest weaving item, still needs pressing but I just wanted to photograph it before I forget

Efemera

« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2020, 16:59:00 PM »
Lovely...

Ploshkin

« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2020, 17:15:17 PM »
That looks lovely Celia.   Is it a cowl where you weave the finishing warp ends into the beginning warp ends?  I saw a pattern for one in my internet meanderings and was quite taken with it.  I will need to learn a bit about weaving first though!
What yarn have you used
Life's too short for ironing.

coffeeandcake

« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2020, 17:17:14 PM »
That's lovely @Celia. I'm quite fascinated by weaving: it looks as though it's very therapeutic.
@Lowena if you're interested in doing something you should. Life's just too short not to unless it's something that that you really, really cannot afford to. As Efemera says shrouds don't have pockets.

Ellabella

« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2020, 17:25:28 PM »
@Celia thats lovely, I’m very tempted but mustn’t start anything else that needs ‘stuff’!

I love the colours you’ve used, looks very warm and cosy.

BriarRose

« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2020, 17:32:23 PM »
Very nice, Celia! The colors are lovely.
It's just fabric. We can out-think it.

Lowena

« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2020, 18:45:14 PM »
True @coffeeandcake  but my children and grandchildren have pockets.......and needs
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Celia

« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2020, 22:30:15 PM »
@Lowena it really doesn’t have to cost much if you are interested, one of my favourite looms is my little Inkle loom, mine was homemade but you can buy a small Inkle for about  £45.00.  I am doing a band on mine at the moment and will post a photo soon.

Thank you everyone for the comments and yes it is one of the cowls that are made all on the loom.

Lowena

« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2020, 00:27:27 AM »
Thank you @Celia I'll certainly give it some more thought. I'm really bad at not allowing myself to spend money on me, and I have long hankered after learning how to weave. :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2020, 09:14:57 AM »
Beautiful .... What are you using ... wool?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Celia

« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2020, 18:54:10 PM »
Yes the cowl is made with a double knit wool, that’s one thing I love about weaving you can use all sorts of fibre

mudcat

« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2020, 19:20:54 PM »
I was supposed to do my four hour beginning weaving class on Wednesday but they asked me to reschedule so now it will be Friday the 11th of December.   :'(

Celia

« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2020, 10:29:49 AM »
@mudcat that is a shame when you are looking forward to something, never mind it will soon be December.  What sort of loom are you learning on.

mudcat

« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2020, 23:38:42 PM »
@Celia it is the rigid heddle one.  This is to be my test as to whether or not I will take up weaving.  If I enjoy it I will most likely come home with some new equipment.

Celia

« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2020, 12:16:19 PM »
As promised especially for you @Lowena  my latest weave on my Inkle, the trim is made from cotton and is for someone I used to work with who loves braids and trims etc it can also be used as bag handles.