The Sewing Place

Looms and Weaving in General

Ploshkin

Re: Looms and Weaving in General
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2020, 13:25:00 PM »
You're doing it again @Celia   I've been resisting the urge to get an inkle loom but the scales are tipping back the other way again.  :)  With the  lack of progress on our building I can't see me being able to get a table loom any time soon.
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2020, 13:31:06 PM »
That's lovely @Celia  However I know what OH would say....what are you going to do with that? :D
I'm not clever enough to make bags or anything that would use trim but it is very pretty and I am really tempted
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ploshkin

« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2020, 13:56:38 PM »
However I know what OH would say....what are you going to do with that?
@Lowena I think my answer to that would be ' I don't know yet but I'm enjoying doing it.'

Actually, that is my reason for resisting the temptation (especially as I will definitely be getting a bigger loom)  but I could make bookmarks for everyone  and Celia mentioned curtain tiebacks.  I dont usually wear belts but I would if I made one and you could stitch narrower strips together to make glasses or phome cases though you can fo 4" wide on the full sized inkle looms  (2" on the inklettes I think).

Ploshkin

« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2020, 16:58:51 PM »
Well, I've been and gorn and dunnit.
Frustrated by the prospect of not having loom space for several months yet I decided to get a small loom.  Then, by the time I have my new sewing room and space I will hopefully have had some experience of warping, weaving and yarns, learnt from my mistakes and be ready for bigger things.

So, I have an Ashford Sampleit 10" loom on its way  :)

Lowena

« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2020, 18:26:40 PM »
I'm still tempted @Ploshkin and @Celia
But.... The price  :faints:

Celia

« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2020, 18:46:33 PM »
@Ploshkin  absolutely brilliant I am sure you will learn a lot, the Ashford is a great way to start. Can’t wait to see your progress.
 Come on @Lowena Christmas is coming :devil:

Puzzler

« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2020, 19:49:22 PM »
Enjoy learning to weave, @Ploshkin

Celia

« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2020, 09:47:30 AM »
@Ploshkin has it arrived yet? I feel like I need some company in my weaving :loveit:

Ploshkin

« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2020, 10:21:57 AM »
@Celia DHL are supposed to be bringing it tomorrow  :)
I haven't got much but I've been digging out leftover knitting yarn for an initial try out.

Celia

« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2020, 13:05:11 PM »
Good to hear :loveit:

BriarRose

« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2020, 15:31:41 PM »
I need to finish up the first half of a woven bag this week and start on the second half. I'm using a plain old frame loom that I can carry around with me. The museum where I work is closing from 24 December until 4 January and I' looking forward to having uninterrupted time to weave during those days.

Condolences on having the weaving class postponed. I signed up for an intensive Navajo weaving course a year in advance only to have it cancelled by covid. It was being held in a town on the Navajo Reservation that was one of the hardest hit places in the nation. I let the enrollment ride and am hoping the course will take place in 2021. In all, I've been waiting four or five years to attend.
It's just fabric. We can out-think it.

Ploshkin

« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2020, 17:05:19 PM »
@Celia my loom has just arrived, it was supposed to be delivered tomorrow  :D
Tomorrow will be spent putting it together.
@BriarRose I do hope you get to do the Navajo weaving course before too long.

Ploshkin

« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2020, 15:21:05 PM »
Today, I have waxed and assembled my loom.  The instructions are very good and it went together easily.  It would be useful if Ashford included a small pot of wax in the package as they advise sealing it with wax polish before assembly.  Fortunately I have some nice beeswax polish given to me by a fellow beekeeper.  Anyone coming into the house will think I've been cleaning  ;)
I've threaded it up with a short warp which seemed to go all right except that I spent half my time looking for the brown threading hook on the wooden table.
I haven't done any weaving yet, I'm not here tomorrow so it will have to wait.

Lowena

« Reply #73 on: December 09, 2020, 16:10:52 PM »
I'm agog :dance:

Celia

« Reply #74 on: December 09, 2020, 16:41:00 PM »
Well done, I cent wait to see what you do and hear tales of weaving :loveit: