The Sewing Place

Looms and Weaving in General

Ploshkin

Re: Looms and Weaving in General
« Reply #75 on: December 09, 2020, 17:07:01 PM »
@Celia I'm waiting to see pictures of your experimental weaving that you mentioned elsewhere earlier today!  I hope they are forthcoming.   :)
Life's too short for ironing.

mudcat

« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2020, 19:31:06 PM »
Today I ended up postponing my Rigid Heddle class.  Our Covid rates sky rocked this week (right on schedule ~2 weeks after the Thanksgiving holiday) so I no longer felt comfortable being inside for four hours.  Since I already paid for the class they were very nice about it and put me on a list for when the spring schedule comes out. 

Celia

« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2021, 14:37:54 PM »
Here is my latest make

Acorn

« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2021, 14:58:04 PM »
Wow!!   :loveit: 
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Efemera

« Reply #79 on: January 14, 2021, 15:17:54 PM »
What lovely neat edges @Celia... what loom is that?

Ploshkin

« Reply #80 on: January 14, 2021, 16:42:28 PM »
I'm coveting the lovely, neat selvedges too  :)

Celia

« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2021, 17:23:22 PM »
Thank you the loom is a Schacht Cricket 10 inch, it is a really lovely loom to work on, I have it because it doesn’t need to be leaning against my stomach to work which some of the others do, I had an op many years ago which means that doing so gives me problems.

Ploshkin

« Reply #82 on: January 14, 2021, 18:01:18 PM »
How do you have the loom when you are using it @Celia ?  I've tried mine on mg lap with the notched back end wedged against the table but didn't like that at all.  I was working too close to my body.  I've got it clamped to the table and so far have been standing to use it  because i don't have a high enough seat.

Celia

« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2021, 18:05:50 PM »
The cricket I can just put on the table without clamping and use or I can balance it on my lap if I sit with my feet up.  The 12 inch Ashford knitters loom that I have has to be used tipped up to the table, it is a lot longer than yours so you are not sitting so close to your work but it causes havoc with my stomach.

Efemera

« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2021, 19:18:48 PM »
I can’t decide between the 16” or the 20” Ashford ... I’m currently using the 32”...it’s a bit BIG!

Ploshkin

« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2021, 21:51:48 PM »
We haven't seen pictures of what you're doing yet @Efemera   Just sayin'  ;)

BriarRose

« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2021, 21:56:25 PM »
Very nicely done, Celia.  :thumbsup:
It's just fabric. We can out-think it.

Efemera

« Reply #87 on: January 16, 2021, 15:04:06 PM »
Here you go @Ploshkin ...mine is a 32” heddle...it’s far too big so I’ll be selling it and getting a smaller one. The weaving is about 16” and the yarn is lambs wool...just a bit finer than 4ply

Ploshkin

« Reply #88 on: January 16, 2021, 15:59:42 PM »
Ooh, looking good @Efemera lovely neat selvedges.  I haven't used yarn as thin as that yet - working my way down to it  :). Whatcsize heddle are you using for that?
I'm interested that you say it is too big - confirms what I had thought.  I had settled on getting a 24" when I have the space for it.  My thinking was that I'm 5' 2" so my arm span will be about the same.  A 24" plus the same amount at each side to wield the shuttle is 72" so I should be able to do it from one spot.  I thought that if I went any bigger I would need to shuffle from side to side much of the the time.  I also thought that I could cause havoc waving a 32" shuttle about.
Really, I'd like to try before I buy but there's no chance of that round here.

Efemera

« Reply #89 on: January 16, 2021, 17:10:38 PM »
@Ploshkin ...it’s easier than I thought to use but I think weaving the full width would be better on a stand... as you say the shuttle for the 32” is enormous!...the heddle is a 12 dpi. I don’t think I’ll be weaving fine wool when I get a smaller one.. I wanted to weave fancy yarns which I think needs a 5 or 7dpi.