The Sewing Place

Looms and Weaving in General

Celia

Re: Looms and Weaving in General
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2020, 17:20:14 PM »
No a knitters loom is a rigid heddle loom not a tapestry loom. A good place to look is https://www.weftblown.com/ and look at there blog there is quite a good description of the different looms, they are also super helpful.
@Efemera  it really depends on the width of the fabric you want to make, 16 is quite a nice width but I like the 12 especially to learn on, I think it also depends on how much space you have

Puzzler

« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2020, 17:23:39 PM »
Some of the same photos as on Halcyon site but price in ££££

mudcat

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2020, 18:01:35 PM »
I'd love to learn to weave but know absolutely nothing about equipment or space needed.I'd have to start from scratch :thinking:

You can do it!   :thumbsup: 

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2020, 07:32:27 AM »
I think I just might have  to ask Santa... do I need a 12” or a 16”?  @Celia

@Efemera 16" . Or bigger.  :)
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Lowena

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2020, 14:57:36 PM »
OMG @Celia @Ploshkin @Efemera @Puzzler
I have just looked up small heddle looms . Even without extras they are £125+! :S
I wouldn't feel comfortable spending so much on myself so it's back to dreaming for a while :(
Triumph of hope over experience :D

WendyW

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2020, 14:59:16 PM »
Is it possible to weave any kind of pattern on a rigid heddle loom, or do they only do a basic weave?

Ploshkin

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2020, 16:04:37 PM »
 @Lowena I thought they were very reasonably priced (not the floor standing ones that are thousands) especially compared with sewing machines. 
Life's too short for ironing.

Efemera

« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2020, 16:10:35 PM »
I thought they were quite cheap...it’s on the Santa list... There’s no pockets in shrouds!

Lowena

« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2020, 16:32:39 PM »
Cheap? :faints:
I'm afraid I couldn't justify spending that much money on myself. I already have a sewing machine and a Sissix.Not to mention any extra items which would be needed ( including  wool )
Still,I can dream :D
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 16:37:14 PM by Lowena »

BriarRose

« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2020, 16:41:57 PM »
All you need to begin to weave is a wooden frame (stretcher bars from an art store work), something for warp, and something for weft. Wrap the warp in a figure eight pattern alternating around two ends of the frame. Start putting in weft yarn by going over and under the warp threads using either your fingers or a big needle. Tap the weft into place with the needle or a plastic fork. When you complete the weaving, leave enough warp at each end to tie over hand knots in pairs of warp threads for fringe.

If you like that process, then you can ease onto the slippery slope of more sophisticated looms. Weaving doesn't have to be intimidating or expensive. Some of my favorite pieces were done with grass and pine needles on forked branches I found on hikes. I spend an hour or so sitting on the ground weaving these little pieces, then hang them in a tree and walk away. 

Warping a Navajo loom is a peaceful process. Once started, you can't stop, though, and I make sure that folks know I'm out of reach for the duration. That's part of what makes it so peaceful. One of the things I like about this method of weaving is that the finish work is done first- no ends to tie off or weave back into the rug/saddle blanket/etc.

I teach beginning classes using a square wooden frame with notches cut into two sides to loop warp around. It's a nice simple loom. My husband makes them. The last batch was made from scraps of cherry he had laying around from a building project he did for a client a few years ago. The previous batch was made from alder, I think.  I've also seen frame looms with little nails for holding warp, but the nails weaken the wood and sometimes split it, so I'm not as fond of those. If I could figure out how to post photos, I'd provide some illustrations.
It's just fabric. We can out-think it.

Celia

« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2020, 17:34:07 PM »
@Lowena  I do agree with @BriarRose I have 2 home made Inkle looms that were made out of things that were already here, another way to start is something like this.  https://www.weftblown.com/collections/inkle-and-braid-looms/products/stoorstalka-band-weaving-kit-sunna-5?variant=31679805161519

Here is one of my Inkle
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 22:26:39 PM by Celia »

Efemera

« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2020, 18:01:59 PM »
DD  has a friend who is a weaving tech and another who teaches weaving so she’s going to see if they have any equipment they might want to part with...

Lowena

« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2020, 18:33:47 PM »
Another nail in my weaving coffin  :'( OH says I'd need another room  :'( and we don't have one spare  :'(

Efemera

« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2020, 19:01:55 PM »
Why on earth would you need a room to weave on a small loom?..

BriarRose

« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2020, 01:50:45 AM »
Why on earth would you need a room to weave on a small loom?..

Future expectations.  :devil:
It's just fabric. We can out-think it.